why has steelheading become so popular?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Panhandle, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Caffine free for almost a week. I'm gonna let your fuck-tard comment slide because I know you are super cool.

2. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    I dont see how video taping or catching alot of fish is really pimping a resource... just sayin.

3. verendus

verendus Member

I've been steelheading for the last 10 years. I've driven tens of thousand miles looking for them. I gave up trout fishing. I no longer chase Kings, stripers, tunas like I used to. I don't think steelhead exists. I've never seen one with my own eyes, let alone held one in my hand. I think they are just a figment of people's imagination. It's a vain illusion! So let's all get back to trout fishing.

4. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Media:
    that is why I used 'and'.

5. Brazda

Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Media:
    Home Page:
    Actually I see it as AGAIN becoming popular, in the 70's and to the mid 80's it was more popular than ever. The Bolt decision took its toll on the attitude of the old timers and the push went to big Hatchery programs ie: Cowtits.
    If you talk fly fishing for them that is what they did the most before the discovery of bait cures and reels that could handle the fish w/o blowing up,,in the 20's it was common thought that steelhead were nearly uncatchable due to gear explosion, this made the single action fly reels the choice of those with the desire to catch them.
    The numbers of steelheaders fishing now is nothing compared to the glory days in Forks were you could hardly park another truck and boat inside city limits on a week-end. 1985 there were Jet boats running up and down the Lower Puyallup catching the last big run of the river system, it never happened again, more steelhead were killed on the Puyallup that season in DEC. than the Cowlits...
    I think the latrest revolution is because we now are catching them in bigger numbers again with the latest techniques, Skagit lines, Spey rods all the rage and yes the bobber patrol has opened the catchability again to people with the desire to enjoy there natural surroundings.
    In the late 80's there was a huge push of people moving to Washington from other states w/o steelhead and those people are accepting the idea of pursuing steelhead as a sport highly envolved in the NW lifestyle. Especially now with run sizes at a peak in the cyclical changes of nature.
    We will see whom are the die hards if and when the cycle drops to what we seen in the 90's.

6. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    well put and insightful, from the perspective of a newer steel head fisher.

7. Robert Easterday

Robert Easterday Member

I second Mr. Triggs: Unfortunately, it's turned into more about the forces of advertising/marketing/hype than about actual substance. Wild steelhead are, however, still the best fish on the planet.

8. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

No offense to anyone, but the Internet and all of us who have had success with Steelhead and then post about how glorious it is have only to look in the mirror.

Steelheading is the pinnacle of flyfishing, they're so incredible, BLAH BLAH BLAH Post pictures of big bright chrome steelies, brag about how well they fight, and then talk about the wonderful pristine wilderness you caught them in.

Yeah Bob, it ~is~ advertising. And we've all done a very good job. This while runs are declining and whole systems are closing for the very seasons that made them famous (Thompson in the fall, Skagit/Sauk in the winter,etc).

There are still a few spots and a few times of the year when you can find good steelhead flyfishing in the continental USA. They're getting fewer and more crowded every year. And the advertising continues . . .

9. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    Because of all the Groupies!!!

10. FLGator

FLGator Member

I've considered more than once at giving it up as an angler because of what it has 'become'. However, it is what I am and there are ways around the 'popularity'.

11. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You are old and out of touch. Nobody calls it the spreader hole anymore.

12. Jerry White

Jerry White Member

IMO, this is pretty close...

13. mjyp

mjyp New Member

because a-holes pimp it out and want to make $$$$$ off of it. seen it here in the great lakes, pere marquette river used to be a nice place to fish and get away, now no f'in way, more drift boats on it than a normandy landing, guys fish it 24x7 during the runs, mostly within the 7 mile section of flies only water. havent fished her in years (8-9, and may never fish her again)

14. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    Because of the internet, the prolification of media pimping it (mostly compliments of the internet), the ability to get reports and way more info. The shortened learning curve because of the internet. The acceptance of ways to make it easier to catch them--and yes I mean nymphing. Not slamming it, but let's call it for what is: way the hell more effective, and when you're talking about something that could take untold hours--dozens and dozens--to catch even one, lopping that in half or a third makes it a wee bit more accessible to the masses. The influx of much more and much more affordable gear. The advertising and pimping that goes on because of that gear. And because many fly fishers, after a decade or two of trout fishing, finally really do want something else to do. (One of the same reason carp are more popular.) We had an influx of fisherman a while ago. They're evolving.

When I first got into flyfishing, the guy who taught me said two things: "I wouldn't even think of taking you steelheading for three years (basically, until you can cast decently). And, you got to want to." And I didn't. I didn't see what the fuss was about. This was back in one-hander days and everyone only ever swung, or at least that's all they admitted to. People talked far more about the 1000 casts than they did about the fish. Now all you ever see and grip-n-grin and hero shots. I get it, but back then that wasn't how steelheading was explained. People only got into because they'd caught them before (on gear), or because they got to know a steelheader well enough to know that they weren't completely crazy, and therefore steelheading must not be either.

Now it's uber-prolific photos, internet posts, 4-page photo spreads, and so on. It's no fucking wonder everyone thinks they got to do it. You can check the fish counts, see graphs of the runs, check the weather half a state or half a country away. You can buy or rent any of a gajillion videos/DVDs on it. You don't have to know someone who does it, have the wisdom passed down one trip at a time, etc. A newbie steelheader can walk out to the river--minus the one critical bit of knowledge/experience about understanding holding water and being able to read it--and before he's even made a cast he knows more than guys five years into knew 20 and 30 years ago. Who the hell wouldn't want to catch big, powerful fish? Sure the cold will keep a few away. But the reason so many more are trying is because the entry barrier is what used to keep them out. And that barrier is simply a lot lower.

15. ottorotate

ottorotate New Member

It's seemingly more popular because humans won't stop breeding. It's not just steelheading, you'll find more people on your hikes, at your ski hill, at the beach, on your bike trails and at the campground.

16. Jerry White

Jerry White Member

Silver Lining:
    99% of todays humans can be found w/in 100 yards of a road and will not or cannot go much further. Hence, if you are willing to hike into roadless for your steelhead (mule deer, trout, chukar, etc.) you can still have a solitary experience (Less of course, motorheads can get 4 wheelers, snow machines or jet boats into hypothetical roadless area... then you will still have company).

17. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

i recognize the internet and most every sole on this site and others like it, with regards to flyfishing for steelhead, as the number one cause for the increase. its just more attractive now. its being part of something, and frankly many dont even seem to mind not catching anything, its been romanticized and many have fallen in love with it. with regards to gearheads, its always been crowded, the only increase in the steelhead community appears to be flyfishermen. i have fished the ronde for example since 92 i think. if anything the gearhead number is down, but simply replaced with bug rods, it just is, what it is, simple evolution. ya cant blame anybody or identify a bad guy. i gotta put a little blame on seasons of the fly too, man, they put that show together good. i just start salivating everytime its on, lol.

18. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

I've only been fishing for steelies since '99, but I started because I wanted a different challenge. And yes, it makes me happy too!

However, it seems to me that most guys (whether they admit it or not) are getting into it cause it's the latest "trend". Somehow, it makes you seem cooler or more of a real fly fisherman if you're catching steelies on a fly rod. Throw in the spey ordeal, and then it gets even more elitist. That's been my experience anyway. I fly fish for steelies, cause like many of you, that's the only way I'll fish. Yes, that is narrow minded, but that's what makes me happy.

The same could be said about hunting. Bow hunting has gone through the roof over the same period of time, and the reasons are the same there too I think. That doesn't mean though that there aren't many who do either one with pure intentions at heart, but the trend will fade. Craigslist and ebay will be loaded with killer deals, as it is already beginning to happen.

19. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Same thing was said when dinks started buying Harleys. I am still waiting for all those killer deals on used Harleys.

20. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

There is no doubt that massive amount imformation available via the internet and other sources played an big role in the increased steelhead interest. However a couple other factors also were in play (especially for winter fish here in western Washington).

The first of course is quamtum leaps in gear available to the angler. 30 or more years ago casting and line control were very important and they help limit winter steelhead to a "niche" sport. The huge advancements in lines, rod design, increased use dof two handed rods, etc. opened the "sport" to more and more anglers. Anglers were not only more efficient achieving adequate presentation no longer required as much investment in time and practice.

The other factor that is rarely talked about is changes in steelhead management in the early 1980s. With increased emphasis on wild steelhead management and the establishment of spring CnR season anglers sudden found rivers with good numbers of aggressive fish willing to move to reasonably presented fly. Initially those season were not very popular with anglers with some hard core fly anglers anomg the first take advance of the new opportunities. Word quickly spread and within a decade the rivers were populated with "experts" and the sport has never looked back.

Irony in that on those Souond "S" rivers that spawned so much interest steelhead fishing is fast fading and within a few years will be largely a thing of the past.

Tight lines
    Curt