Why I Like Frameless Pontoons

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by LCnSac, Jun 28, 2014.

1. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    [​IMG]

Contents:

1-8.5' Predator pontoon
    2- pumps--K100 and Rule (which Foodsavered the 'toon to shrink to this size)
    1- life jacket
    2-oars
    1-seat
    1-footbar
    5-rods
    10-fly boxes
    1- waders
    2-fins/booties
    Misc tippets, leaders, etc.

I kept the reels and bags separate but could have shoehorned them in.

Probably weighs 30 lbs. We're not flying this time but could easily without an overcharge. Had to try it.

Milanmark likes this.
  2. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Impressive! My Renegade packs-down pretty small, but not that small.

3. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Right on. I was able to get the Predator in a smaller duffle when I sucked the are out and laid it in the sun for about 10 minutes.
    I am able to get the Renegade, or the Assault and even the Assault XX (with same as above) into this duffle
    [​IMG]

The Fuzion could pack up that mall but with the glue ons I have added in the spots that fold it is now just rolled up.

But frames aren't too bad. Pontoon and broke down frame here
    [​IMG]

Best for last////14' 3 man Drifter with self bailing floor, three boxes and seats plus oars. Oh and passanger seat still open. Suzuki Grand Vitara
    [​IMG]

triploidjunkie and Milanmark like this.
  4. Milanmark

Milanmark Member

Yeah I am really glad I bought a frameless, the Renegade. On my TODO list is to see how small I can fold it up... The size of a six pack would be ideal... LOL Any comments on what I should be able to do are welcome. I watched Dave's YouTube video on how to fold up that helped. I am hoping to get smaller than the travel bag Dave sells. Should hold a lot but I need smaller I have a Ford Escape, no room now when I go on a trip! Going on a space allocation for the next trip! Will fold it up and see what I get! Blue's comments on sucking the air out and laying in the sun should help. I love this forum!

5. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

I have been fishing my Xstream Cutthroat 6' frameless for 24 years. Great boat I bought from Sos when he was down by the Duwamish. Zero problems, well built and even got pinks in the sound last year with it....

6. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Those are pretty sweet. I didn't realize they have been around that long. Didn't see one till about 8 years ago. Some assembly required, but nifty boats.

7. another cheap option is a used hockey bag

Blue likes this.
  8. Milanmark

Milanmark Member

Did my trial run of packing up my Renegade tonight... decided to do it without the bags 'cause if I have stuff in them I won't want to be folding them up... Anyways sucked the air out, folded it pretty close to Dave's You Tube video and got it folded down to approx. 28 x 24 x 8. Folded it three times and all about the same result. I think it could fold down smaller but there were wrinkles when I took the air out in places that made it harder to fold up. I did get it narrower on the third try but then it got thicker... Now to find a duffel bag for it... I kind of want a bag for the boat and another for the other gear (pump oars etc). Dave's bag would leave me lots of room for gear but I would rather have 2 lighter duffels rather than one heavy one, it's this getting older thing! LOL

9. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Milanmark likes this.
  10. Milanmark

Milanmark Member

Awesome, thanks!

11. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Great prices on those bags. I've bought duffle bags from "Seattle Sports"...nice roll top bags and a little bit cheaper...as long as your careful with them, they last a long time. I've had the 36" size for 8+ years now.

12. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Only assembly required is attach pump and add air! About 40 pumps per side, few huff and puff minutes and you're fishing!

13. RogueBum

RogueBum Spey casting for Steelies year round

Home Page:
    I love my Tote-N-Float. About 25 pounds and fits into a duffle slightly larger than a gym bag (without the motor mount). Frameless is the way to go!