Why prams?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Frank R, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Frank R

Frank R Member

I live in Michigan and I have not visited your area yet.

I notice the mention of prams and tubes on lakes. Why is this? I am guessing you have restrictions on the use of outboard motors on certain lakes; is this true?

No one uses prams here on lakes. I have seen drifboats and Au Sable River Boats up north on the trout river but they are still kind of rare.

2. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Prams are the ideal craft for covering short distances and anchoring up to work a small piece of water, i.e. chironomid fishing for trout. If your game is covering shoreline haunts for bass/pike or searching for moving schools of walleye or perch, there are better options. Do you do much stillwater trout fishing in Michigan?

3. Frank R

Frank R Member

I don't think we have any stillwater trout water here, only rivers.

We have 11,000 lakes and watercraft are very popular; a lot of aluminum and fiberglass powerboats of all kinds. Little prams would be really out of place. I was wondering why you guys don't just use aluminum row boats of some kind. Hence my initial question. If all you have are high mountain lakes that don't allow gas engines than prams make sense.

4. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    We have many lakes in the range of 15 acres to 60 acres in size. Pontoons, float tubes, and prams are perfect around here. We also have small sized boat launches that won't accommodate trailers and parking. Many of these lakes don't permit gasoline engines (thank goodness!). We like our peace and quiet. Loud voices and cell phones are not allowed..... :D

5. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    We mostly use them so we don't get wet. :)

6. fly-by

fly-by Active Member

The MI and WA definition of pram may be different. When fishing the Lake MI tribs for Salmon I have seen 12-14 foot low sided driftboats referred to as prams, while here most people think of prams as 8-10 foot beamy single man rowboats used almost exclusively on lakes. There are a lot of small drive to or "drag to" lakes here that work well for this type of craft.

7. Frank R

Frank R Member

This is what I was guessing at, thanks.

8. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Hi Frank,

I built a little pram for winter trout fishing in Washington, I mainly fish chironomids with it. The older I get, the wimpier I get...or smarter! Once the weather and water warm up, I use a pontoon which I prefer casting and stripping and chironomiding.---Steve

9. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Because they are awesome and very effective when fishing small to medium size lakes. If you like trolling, a vessel with fins works great. When anchoring up, casting, and retrieving, prams are the bomb.

10. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I would say that aluminum and fiberglass rowboats are to a wooden pram what a pickup truck is to a sports car. Yeah, they will all get you there but in the pram and the sports car you can get there in style with some elan. And the prams are blissfully silent as well.

Ive

11. Frank R

Frank R Member

Thanks for all the replies.

I like the idea of prams and I am building one myself. But here in Michigan it will have very limited usage. Basically on a few small lakes and a couple of slow rivers.

Any other lakes here the prams and tubes would get run over by all the other recreational boats.

12. mlwebb

mlwebb New Member

Michigan pram.
    Michael

13. Frank R

Frank R Member

Yep, I have had a great email exchange with Dave Zelinski. I missed seeing his drift boat up close last month. He was fishing the Pere Marquette the day before I arrived. Here is more:
    http://www.thtchronicles.blogspot.com/

But this proves my point. Prams like this have very limited use here. I live in SE Michigan and although we have lots and lots of water here, there are regular aluminum and fiberglass hatches that make it impossible to use a little pram. Remember what happened to the PT109? That would happen here.

14. troutosarus

troutosarus New Member

What do you pram users think of the Spring Creek Hopper II?

15. Frank R

Frank R Member

Welcome to the board.

If you use the Search function you will find lots of comments on the Spring Creek products.

16. mlwebb

mlwebb New Member

Frank, what are you building?

Dave's advice was helpful when I built my Trapper (12' stem to transom, either a large pram, or small drift boat). I added a transom cutout for an electric motor, ala a Rapid Robert, transom angle a little much for an outboard, at least without some sort of adaptor. I suppose you could paint it with orange and white diagonal stripes to keep the twin engined nascar boaters at bay :)

[​IMG]

Michael

17. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Very nice looking boat, miwebb. Something like that with a transom angle that would take an electric or small OB would be versatile. I suppose the transom design could be modified into a two-piece, so that the upper panel is more vertical for mounting a motor. Or somethin.
    Sometimes I just slap my electric on the "bow transom" of my Don Hill mini drifter (using a small piece of cedar board on each side of the transom for a thick-enough mount) and motor backwards upstream. (Looks just like a regular pram moving forwards). Heading back down, I pull up the motor, switch seats and directions, and drift/row back downstream. The extreme angle of the "bow transom" of the mini-drifter isn't a problem with the electric, as it has a wide range for adjustment to get it right.
    I'll bet the adjustment range of an electric would overcome the angle of your Trapper's transom.

18. Frank R

Frank R Member

I cannot see your photo.

19. The Happy Trout

The Happy Trout New Member

Home Page:
    Hey, my first time here on this forum, and that is my wood pram /skiff in michigan!

I like prams or lo-side boats much more now that the high side stuff. I own two of both, and on the slow water, flat water, the pram is wonderful. stable, you can sit, stand, row it, anchor it, and it is easy in and out with the lo sides.

dave zielinski

20. Frank R

Frank R Member

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum.

I see the value in drift prams. My original question was about lake prams. I suspected the popularity was due to restrictions on outboard motors out there, which does seem to be the case.

BTW: This is Frank from Michigan; we emailed recently about your new pram.