why speyrods?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by clockwork, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Two-handing the salt

I have no personal experience with it, but I know that a rising number of saltwater fly anglers are turning to two-handed fly rods. However, these aren't spey rods. They're somewhat shorter, stiffer, fast-action rods used to cast shorter heads, usually from shore, with overhand casts, not water-anchored spey casts. CND and Meiser, in Oregon, have developed specialty models for this use.

2. The 2handers are getting a reputation among bonito and false albacore fishermen when the speedsters are in the breechways of New England. Those fish have a tendency to stick close to the rocks, so you can dead drift a fly right in front of you and still be just a flip away from them if they break on the opposite side.

3. I think someone said that one of the minuses of fishing spey style in the salt is that if there isn't any current around, but I don't really know that.

Can you do two handed over head casts with a spey rod?

4. Yes you can.

5. Another reason

As Bob L, says it looks cool and makes you feel cool and important on the river. The deep swing of a winter spey drift, priceless ! :beer1:

[​IMG]

iagree

BG

6. There really isn't any Spey casting for the Salt. I overhead off the beach with a 13 footer and most folks may be using a Spey rod, but they call it two handing. Bob Meiser is sending out a 15 footer for me to run through some trials off the beach. These are usually very fast rods of scandihoovian design that I don't feel are very practical for Spey casting. There are some 11 foot models the guys on the east coast seem to like because they can tuck it under an armpit and do a hand over hand fast strip. For me I like the longer rod because I can generate faster line speed with less effort. Besides, the chicks really dig it when I guy can get it out 120 feet in one cast. That equals more time in the water per cast. Besides myself, I only know of one other person that twohands off the beach.

7. Well Matt I have been known to do it our here in the Western Gls, and still have not seen anyone else either.

Guess we are the U.S. fresh water spey surf pioneers, some one has to do it !

:beer1: ;)

BG

8. there are plenty of local flyfishermen that use two-handed rods off the beach.

9. Where are they Yak? I would like very much for us to gather somewhere and pool our resources. I am tired of trying to figure it out alone.

10. Matt, that would be me. I was using them off the beaches out on the Key Peninsula over 5 years ago. Out near Devils Head on KPN. Would fish some of the private beaches with them, since I had no backcasting room (since it was a high cliff) and the good fishing was just out of reach. Now, just want to buy back my Speys once I'm back to work.

11. i didnt realize that you could cast long distances and not have to deal with an equally long back cast. now i understand where their niche is. i guess its mostly in the cast itself. -ryan

12. Hi Charlie,
    In the Sep 04 issue of Fly fisherman, there is an article of 2-handed rods. They talk about using them in the salt. I find it waaay too much work myself, but there you go.

Don

13. Hey Matt,

Some of us can cast 120 with our 11 footers, we do not need the extra 2 feet :p

Spey rods and two handed overhead rods like others have said are two separate animals. While you could spey cast off the beach you are not gaining anything and it would most likely end up more work than fun. Same thing goes the other way around. You could spey cast with the stiff overhead two handers but it would not work that well. They are two totally separate actions and only a few rods I know of can do both.

Seriously Matt is the only other guy I have seen out overheading from the beach. I think we are on to something though. I sometimes wince watching you single handers false casting 10 times to cast 60' when we can double that in one backcast. :cool:

-sean