Why Steelhead?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Muskypicker, May 8, 2011.

1. Sounds pretty intriguing...where would I go to get my first taste, and would I need to get a spey rod and know how to cast with proficiency before I'd get any enjoyment out of it? I get weekly emails from Deneki Outdoors which look pretty amazing. I'm not going to find any here in Colorado...where would you recommend a first-timer to go (guided and hopefully tutored, of course). Thanks everyone. I'm sure I sound like a total idiot, but this is all new to me.

2. cause it's the best way to fish beads

3. Call up Jeff Brazda or Jim Kerr. If you take a trip up here for your first time without a guide, you'd just about be wasting your time in my opinion (if getting a fish is your goal).

4. All I can say is this... If you have to ask!! You just wouldn't understand. :)

5. Really guy?

6. Han Double, you are an experienced steelhead fisherman.

7. There's defiantly a mystique surrounding it, but I agree that it's over-romanticized. If you rely on the internet you will think that they are about as common as unicorns.

8. Rob, how is moving to Portland, moving away from steelhead? Portland is perhaps the best steelhead center to live in the lower 48. Not to mention, you can live in the rural outskirts of P-town, be in the country, be 15 minutes from the city, and be a stone's throw away from endless rivers. Oh, and another thing, never mention Portland and Vancouver in the same sentence---they have nothing in common.

9. I'm with Evan on this one. Do it, you'll learn a sh*t ton.

10. I'm with Pan here. There is nothing wrong with P-town in my opinion. There are a ton of steelhead rivers nearby, the city is nice, and when/if you get skunked on a days fishing there are plenty of nice 'establishments' to enjoy a beverage or two...just bring some extra cash. And Vancouver is lousy. No reason to hang out there at all.

11. It is THE MOST ILLUSIVE FISH there is period.

12. I live in the Portland Vancouver area now. what i was saying is that i cannot bring myself to move away from steelhead....

13. for some1 who dislikes liberal dope smoking hippies u picked a hell of a town

14. Muskypicker,

First and foremost, if you need to catch a steelhead on a fly, you shouldn't bother even trying. But if you're willing to use the least effective technique, and learn to use it as well as it can be used, you can achieve remarkable success at times. It's a challenge. If it were easy, every fucking idiot would be doing it.

Sg

15. AHMEN!!!! Thats why I live in Vancouver!

16. sorry but i disagree. there is so much more information available now than in the past about where to go and how to find water. guides are a good way to learn, but the best learning is discovering it yourself.

self exploration and discovery... or fishing beads from a moving boat... hard to choose:rolleyes:

17. And I also disagree. Someone coming from another state, never fished for steelhead, probably a very small window of time, and never seen the rivers. For a local, yeah, go explore. Taking a 3 day trip, get a guide.

18. You really just need to go out and do it this year. After a some river time you will be able to answer the question for yourself. It's a mixture of the fish and the places that hold the fish. The whole package. Fishing the real good water is a drug all in it's self.

19. Among many things, it's also for me about what these fish go through to get to "me" ...
    They survive for 1-4 years in the wildest, most untamed frontier on planet earth, the ocean, dodging everything from sharks to whales and a ton of other things looking to eat them.
    They swim hundreds of miles, cross several dams, all to crush my swung fly like it owes them money, leaving me weak kneed and speechless. They convince some to quit there job, leave their family, and move to new geographic areas just to have the chance to experience them on a regular basis .
    Theres something simply indescribable, mystical, and different about these fish from any other, and when they reach in and grip your sole, you will be hooked for life, you will may not understand it, but you will know the look in anothers eye when you see it- They are of campfires, anticipation, creativity and form friendships that last a lifetime-
    It will just happen that way....
    They are the "Prince of fishes" as I've been told by a friend, they live up to that name and then some...

20. Any guide recommendations in Oregon? I will most likely be in the Portland area late summer/early fall for 3 or 4 days and would love to connect with a good guide to learn about the Steelhead. Of course I will would love to travel around the state if necessary. Thanks everyone.

Chris