Why would I need to spey??

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by sandspanker, Oct 31, 2010.

1. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

I was wondering why would I need to spey?? I plan on swing flies with my 9-6 8 wt in small rivers. Washougal,East fork of the Lewis, Klickitat.etc... I have a 8 wt spey blank on its way. don't know if I'll build it or gift it. Its 12-6 so would that be a spey rod or switch rod?? Please help I'm a newobee with all of this fly fishing stuff for steelhead.

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Only reason I moved on to spey is because so many of the rivers I fish have zero back cast room. With a spey, I can keep my line out of the trees behind me (usually), and still make fishable casts.

3. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

You don't need to. People have been steelheading with single handers for 60+ years. Now, if you want cast
    further, cover more water, have more line control, and fish with a lot less effort, spey is the way. It's also a blast

4. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Well fishing a river like the Skagit or anything that is very wide would lend itself to the two handed rod. Also as mentioned above rivers or runs with very little to zero backcasting room lend themselves to the two hander.

5. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

Just because it is so dam much fun to cast!!!! Don't do it for more fish but just to develop another aspect of fly fishing.

6. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

For us old-timers, like myself, who have been fly fishing for over 30 years, it's fun being a rank beginner again. We also get to cover water we've always wanted to reach and, if you're a right-hander like me, you finally give your right arm a rest.

Leland.

Leland.

7. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

Spey can be done with any size - single hand - double - it's another chapter.

8. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

I think you should stick with the single hand rods.

9. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

I'm think'n switch rod.

10. sashjo

sashjo Member

I had elbow problems from fishing sink tips with the rod you stated fishing small rivers. Never a bark with the 2H rod. Plus, you how reach water you only dreamed of covering and don't have to worry about backcasting room. At some point, it becomes a no brainer.

11. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

I got the 2 hander to advance my knowledge and to add another tool in my quiver. Sometimes the water just calls for a Spey rod where a single just won't due.

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Beacause sometimes it is the best tool for the job. Not that you can't do the job without it. When you really need the right tool, isn't it nice to have it?

13. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

I agree with the doctor of mumbology.

For me, it's a tool. Sometimes, the fishing conditions I'm presented with call for my spey rod. Sometimes they call for my switch... And with less frequency, the single hander gets the nod. But I find for my steelheading game, I can effectively fish just about any type of water that I like to fish with the spey and the switch. I change my rod based on the fishing conditions; I'm not one to seek out ideal fishing conditions for the rod that's "more fun to cast." But to each his own.

14. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

+1 on Evan's comments above.

fae

15. speyday

speyday Rod tubes in the overhead compartment

You can cover more water. With less effort.
    You can cover water with bankside obstructions better
    The lines offered to spey fisherman help turn over some flies that are proven "smash-provokers"
    Fish feel bigger and more exciting on a spey rod.
    The best casters are those who focus on using less effort adn power, and more efficiency; for folks who are older, have gotten chronic tendonitis from double hauling the beaches for years--- or have aches and pains, this is a tremendous plus.

16. JS

JS Active Member

True, true. I picked up spey casting because it challanges me as a caster. It helps on large rivers, true, but I was swinging flys with my single hander on the eastside rivers (the mainstem of the columbia and snake included) long before I picked up a double handed rod.

17. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

the "dark side" is looking better and better all the time. I don't know how much longer I can resist. Im thinking of the Sauk, Skagit, lower Skykomish, Nooksack around Deming, and anywhere with no backcast room, and how much more efficiently I could work the water with a two hander. I have well over 100 steelhead on the fly, but I know I could be doing a lot better with winter fish with a two hander. Faster sinking tips, and 7 inch intruders all day long.

18. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

you don't..stick with the single and fish in close..

19. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

which has actually proven much more successful for me than the spey game. Even on the swing. But for some reason, I still convince myself that the spey is the best tool for the job on most my local rivers.

20. Spey is more of a technique than a rod. This morning I spent time on a small stream fishing for salmon with a 9'6" - 7wt rod and did only single and double spey casts as there was no room for anything else. Learn the techniques and you will find that no matter what rod you are using that you can cover water that is unreachable by other means. Switch and spey rods are worth the cost as they provide you with other options for different fishing conditions and river sizes. It is also a fun to learn new things.