Why would I need to spey??

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by sandspanker, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +760 / 2
    Right on to all the posts. I got a Meiser 11'0" rod he calls a switch rod, but is really a short spey. It's a blast on smaller rivers and can still handle huge rivers as long as you don't feel the need to cast 100'.

Heck, I even use single-handed spey casts for trout all the time when streamer fishing. It's less tiring and keeps your fly in the water more. To echo the previous poster's idea: Use your 9'6" single-handed 8wt and try some single-handed spey casts. If you like it and want more power and ease, then you can go for a full on 2-hander. Check out these Youtube videos for starters:

2. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    One big reason that I use a two hander is that rarely do I need to wade much past my knees so I stay warmer in the winter and can fish longer.

Yesterday I found myself wanting my 15' rod cus the fish were sitting in a seam about 75 to 80 feet out, which was a stretch with the scandi head on the 12'4" rod I was using, and square on the bottom. No, the fish were not any closer than that and the general commentary from the gear guys was they were amazed at how far out the fish were sitting.

but I suppose if I really needed to spey it's because I would not want any unwanted pets around....
  3. stewart dee Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
  4. sandspanker Member

Camas
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Well thanks for all of the comments. I think my plan is to get some steelhead under my belt with my current set up and then get into the spey game. I'll fish smaller rivers for now, this will help me to read water also and then move to the bigger rivers with the spey rod. Thanks alot guys :)
  5. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Since Bob Meiser said so. He calls his 11' rods "Switch" rods, but in my phone chat with him he said they are 100% 2-handers and I would not be able to comfortably cast them 1-handed. He's correct. The rod I have is nothing like the 11' rods from Sage (Z-Axis), Orvis (Helios) or Winston (B2X) that I tried. Those can be cast 1-handed reasonably well; the Meiser is a totally different animal and is just a short spey rod.
  6. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,356 / 9
    Lugan I'll confirm that, not that you need any confirmation, because in a recent phone conversation with the Meiz he basically told me that very same thing.
  7. stewart dee Guest

So ever other rod company labels them a switch? Is it the heavy material in the blank to create the taper in those Meiz rods that would classify it a two-hand stick? Its just not clear from his website as to if they are switch or two-hand. Sounds like you have it from the man himself- thanks.
  8. CharleyKehwa Member

Renton, WA
    Here's another reason. Learning to cast a two hander will make you better with a single hander
  9. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Wow Ed, you're on a "Meiz" basis with Bob huh?
  10. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Stewart - It's the taper for sure, and probably the material. The Meiser "switch" rods are quite a bit softer than any other rod in the roughly 11' range that I've tried. The taper is a lot less "tippy" than the others I've tried, and the Meiser loads well into the butt section on a cast of any longer distance. The material is probably a lower-modulus graphite too. In a way, they remind me of a Winston WT or an old Scott G, but in spey form. It's super smooth and mellow, but a bit heavier too.
  11. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +132 / 0
    12'6" is all I ever use on the Klickitat. And I do some over head casting with it too.
  12. speyday Rod tubes in the overhead compartment

Plainfield, IL
    You know, I have noticed virtually nobody that inches their way into the water -via wading or even from a boat (common in big GL's water) casting about 3 foot of head off the tip and working/fishing thier way out towards those big casts. I swung flies on a single hander for quite a few years before justifying a need to cast with a 2 hander. And especially in high water, so many of my fish are close and to the bank. This is where we separate the caster-baters from the anglers.

13. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,619 / 2
    iagree iagree iagree iagree
  14. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    My feeling is that if a stream is small enough, perhaps under fifty feet in average width, a single hand rod is entirely adequate. But spey rods have an added fun and interest component, which can't be quantified.

Is a 12-foot rod a switch or spey rod? That reminds me of how, in my youth, I obsessed for a few years about whether five feet, 11 1/2 inches was "average" or "tall." I think 12 feet is right on the cusp for labeling; but who needs to label it?
  15. sashjo Member

Lakewood, WA.
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    You will see the need to transition at some point. Enjoy your journey.
  16. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    that's cause there aren't many fish so you got something to do to pass the time....Casting is a fun way to pass the day...after a couple years you can bomb it out to the backing knot..catch the odd fish way the f*** out there to keep you going..
    Fished up north for the first time last month...lots of fish...only 4 times in 8 days straight of fishing did I strip out more then 10 strips..two of them were to purposely make the toons and drift boats stay out of the water I was fishing, two were to actually fish a seam or bucket...got one fish that way...everything else was close in....

Ahhh but the difference between fishing where there are fish and not....sure opened my eyes to a lot of things....now going through withdrawal...Man I need the tug...
  17. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +675 / 0
    Because you have an obligation to help keep fishing tackle stores in business, fly shop owners are like black labs, there always happy to see you when you walk in the door.
  18. Chum83 New Member

Puyallup Washington
    :rofl::rofl::rofl: very true
  19. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    Ratings: +368 / 0
    one thing to keep in mind as you fish a spey rod even on small rivers lots of fish are caught in close... be sure that you are not overfishing

been steelhead fly fishing for 30 years, spey casting for the last 15, hmmmm i am old ... anyway the last couple years i have been doing both single and spey work to be perfectly honest i think a single handed rod fishes the water better except in big wide runs... the whole thing about back casting room is true but badly overblown.. any place i can spey cast a skagit line i can roll cast my Double taper line ( my line of choice for small stream work , winter or summer)

anyway have both a single hander and a double hander, learn to use them both and you'll be a better fisherman