why would you poke

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Leroy Laviolet, Jul 16, 2011.

1. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    It is, once again showing that you aren't goingt hit your anchor properly every time.

2. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Media:
    The perfect example of what my original question was- WHY POKE ??????????

3. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    And back to square one. :rofl:

4. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Ok Mr. Laviolet, he didn't need to poke as he wasn't trying to throw some impressive long cast...but he did poke...and he wasted even more energy roll casting to bring the fly up before doing the poke, ask him why. Maybe he's lazy like me, aren't you?

5. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    Wots the question?

6. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

I probably wouldn't have poked in that situation where Scott did. Apparently, he hasnt seen my video.:ray1:

7. SSPey

SSPey Member

you've apparently spent more time on this thread arguing against the poke than actually trying it out. I do prefer straight singles, but there are times and tackle for which the poke works better, and in those cases, I often prefer it to a snap-T. I won't try to explain why, that's obviously futile on this thread. Try it - just don't be like the angler who tries single speys for a day and decides it isn't worth it.

8. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

Its just another cast to add to your bag of tricks, works very well with long bellies when you have no back cast room.

9. inland

inland Active Member

Robert,

Poke or don't poke. It is a good bailout move when needed.

Go west this winter and spring and find some of the runs- high bank, underneath and backed into the canopy sidearming between the branches. You will bet your ass that poke comes in handy. Your perspective will change as to what you will do to get the fly out.

And you will also find PLENTY of water well suited to trad spey casts and lines. Even long belly lines if you wish. Where again there are tight spots and poke can be your savior.

You are going to find 'turning the corner' with a single spey and sink tips and water logged fly (let alone plug sized flures) to get a decent angle for a decent presentation isn't 'quite as easy' as with the floater. You are going to find it downright difficult when you can't sweep the D behind because you are standing in the willows. Or any other zero room areas that are adjacent to where the fish are pausing before squirting through.

William

10. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I don`t use the poke too often , but I was playing around with it while practising last fall , and I`m convinced the poke adds significant power to all of the water-borne casts . Especially with shorter belly lines .

11. CharleyKehwa

CharleyKehwa Member

The poke is more than just a recovery cast, at least when used with short belly skagit techniques. Here's why...
    If you set the poke down correctly your line will be slack at the beginning of your sweep. Because you start your sweep against a slack line no tension is put on the anchor at first, and it will remain "anchored" for longer. This longer anchor time will allow you to make a longer forward stroke and put more energy into the cast.
    Watch Ed Ward or any other perry poke master cast and you will notice they have a very long forward stroke for someone casting a short belly line.

12. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

Charley, if you watch someone do the poke properly especially with the short heads the rod is bent at all times and there is no slack(slack kills the cast) and why would you think a longer forward stroke is beneficial? The poke is really just a realignment of the line and anchor, try putting on a bif long piece of yarn instead of a fly and keep poking until that fly/yarn is right beside you you might do it in one poke you might do it in ten but once it is lined up right beside whack it out and see what happens.

13. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Media:
    That's quite the bullshit response , YOU obviously didn't read or understand the original thread -

14. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    I'm kind of like mumbles. If I'm using a "normal" line, the Poke is just used when I need to fix a jacked up situation. For real poke casting I want a super heavy/short skagit line. Poking with a windcutter? You aren't really doing it. You may be going through the steps, but you won't really be taking advantage of what the cast is all about. Kind of like single hand spey casting with the same line you overhead cast with. Yeah, you can do it. But until you get lined up right you don't understand.

15. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    For some reason this thread crept into my head today while working a long high bank river left. I mostly used snap t which is my go to for that type of water where throwing upstream isn't necessary but occasionally a tree over my upstream shoulder would lead me to double and other times when under a tree or when bushes were touching my elbows I poked. Didn't really think about any of these things it was automatic. I did what I had to do to get my fly fishing. Just when I was getting annoyed that I was thinkin about WFF while fishing a little Chrome buck tried to steal my rod and as I bonked it with a rock and admired the sea lice i thought maybe if you clearwater boys had a steelhead to cast at we wouldn't be debating whether or not the Perry poke is a waste of time. Here's to hoping the dam counts go up!

16. CharleyKehwa

CharleyKehwa Member

fishman, I respectfully disagree. I wasn't talking about wether or not the rod is loaded. What I am arguing is that a perry poke creates more water tension at the anchor, thereby enabling you to make a longer and harder forward stroke before you lose your anchor.
    Why is a longer forward stroke beneficial? Ummm, cause it will generate more line speed. I would think that would be obvious?

Here's a master doing it

17. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

Charley, yep the poke does give the line more time to settle but the line system associated with Ed`s style of casting does this with the sinking tip and big fly. Do you think that if the anchor is not lined up but it has lots of time to settle the cast will work as wel?
    Actually Ed has a pretty short stroke, short line short stroke, long line long stroke. Stopping the rod is what causes line speed, without a stop the line really does not go that fast. Respectfully ;-)

18. CharleyKehwa

CharleyKehwa Member

For someone casting a short line, that's a pretty long stroke.

True, the line really does not go that fast without a stop. But it won't go anywhere without a forward stroke first ;-)

19. CharleyKehwa

CharleyKehwa Member

PS- I don't mean to imply that the poke doesn't have the benefits that you and others have stated. Just that it has an additional benefit for someone casting a short line thats on the heavy side of a rods grain window (i.e. skagit)

20. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

it certainly will not go anywhere without a stop and going forward with full tension between the rod and line. I have fished with Ed and his stroke is not long, I think you are confusing follow thru with stroke.