Widgeon

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Dave Westburg, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Dave Westburg Member

Kirkland, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    Am tying some Glasso Gold Heron spey flies. I need to find some American Widgeon for the throat and wing. It's like teal only with a brown tinge. Anyone point me to a source?
  2. halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Vancouver, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    John Shewey has American Widgeon at times. You can contact him at jshewey@earthlink.net. Be patient as he spends lots of time duck hunting and steelhead fishing.
  3. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +108 / 0
    Dave,

I may have some feathers stashed away, can't remember for sure. Shoot me a PM to remind me to look. Glad to share.

REE
  4. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    Dave -
    Get to know a duck hunter or two and show them which feathers you desire or stop by access points and check with the hunters to see if you can collect some feathers. The drake widgeon this time of year are become fully colored and from now until the end of the season(end of January) is time for the collection of prime feathers.

I just put aside a bag of widgeion feathers from 6 drakes for my bull troout and cutthroat flies. I too have feathers stashed away and if Ron doesn't have what yoiu need I may (not sure what you need for your flies). Though don't know how to get them to you.

Tight lines
    Curt
  5. Chukar Spey I'll take Chukar & Steelhead all day, every day!

Nampa, ID
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    IMHO, the Gold Heron looks AMAZING with H. Merganser instead of the Widgeon. Shoot me a PM w/ your addy and I'll send you a small qty to see for your self.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  6. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +108 / 0
    Dave,

Just checked my feathers and I do have some widgeon, but they are very small feathers. They might work for a throat, but definately too small for a wing. Your welcome to them if you want them. If so shoot me a PM witih your snail mail addy.

REE
  7. Dave Westburg Member

Kirkland, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    I need feathers big enough for a wing so that's OK. Thanks for checking REE.
  8. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    I assume that we are talking about the widgeon flank feathers. However if anyone gets the chance to collect feathers from a whole bird be sure to take a look at the shoulder feathers as well. On each shoulder there is a small number of very nicely marked feathers ; they are darker (more chocolate) than most of the flank feathers. I'm finding that I use more of those shoulder feathers for some of my streamers as well as a change of pace cutthroat spiders.

happy Holidays
    Curt