Wild Hoh River Steelhead on the Menu

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by TomB, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Ken Hunter

Ken Hunter Member

The fastest way to get the word out is through the media. The next step is to get the local politician to use "Wild Steelhead" in their campain speech right along with "Saving the Salmon".

Then the public will get on board as if our state fish was part of their heritage.

Get the media to talk and wright about it and things will start to get done. It's hard to buck the public when they all think it's the right thing to do.

Ken

2. TomB

TomB Active Member

Hey guys....please check out this post on another board because you can see the destruction of the Hoh steelhead run firsthand. Below the pics are links to send comments to the companies, which I heartily encourage all of you to do.

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=020745

Chris- Sorry for posting the link here, but I think it is important enough to most people here that they should see it, if you feel that it should be removed, i fully understand, and I will try to get permission from the original poster to copy his pics and message and post them here.
    -thomas

3. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Keep the pressure up guys with the email. The Wild Steelhead Coalition will soon get together with RU.

Leland.

4. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

My email has been sent!

Maybe we could use this forum (with Chris' permision) to generate the funds necessary to place an ad or two in newspapers here in the PNW to educate people about not eating wild steelhead and to bring more public awareness to this issue.

5. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

I'm not sure this will do any good. Even if they stop serving Steelhead it won't impact the tribe's netting. Nobody wants to do a direct tribe media blitz. We need to work at a higher political level, the exual level as commericals and other interests.

6. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

While we are pointing our fingers of accusation at the tribes; why is it that some sport anglers feel that they have to go to the mouths of the rivers here and fish amongst the tribal nets?

Are those dangling, swinging and jigging hooks really helping the situation where so few fish are getting past low water and nets to bgegin with?

7. TomB

TomB Active Member

Bob- a valid criticism...however, i dont know if they are making any more impact fishing down low than they would be above. Also, c&r angling has a hellava lot lower mortality than a gill net. I think it is good that we all recognize the "take" associated with our fisheries method, but I think in this case that our "take" is a small fraction of that of the gill nets. Now sportsfishermen keeping wild steelhead is a completely different issue.
    -Thomas

8. Bob Triggs

Tom,

That does not answer the question I posed above.

I specifically directed my question to the issue of sport anglers congregating at the lower river, in this case the Hoh- near the mouth of the river- and fishing amidst the legal tribal netting locations.

Especially during severe low water conditions, such as we are experienceing now, I dont think people should be sport fishing in close proximity to netting locations.

9. Davy

Davy Active Member

I can only have farm raised steelhead with butter and garlic?

Ok, I'll have the Cobb salad

10. TomB

TomB Active Member

Response from RUI-

Dear Thomas:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We value your patronage of our
    restaurants, and we can certainly appreciate your viewpoint on this
    issue. I have forwarded your concerns to our Director of Operations for
    Washington, as well as our Vice President of Purchasing, for their
    consideration.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Sincerely,

Keri Griffith
    Home Office Hospitality/Guest Relations Manager
    Restaurants Unlimited, Inc.
    1818 N. Northlake Way
    Seattle, WA 98103
    www.r-u-i.com

11. Steve Buckner

TomB,
    I got the same response as you did, came late last night. It would be nice if there is enough pressure from those who patronize their restuarants to make them rethink their placement on the menu...

12. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

A couple responses for Steve and Bob -

The Steelhead being offered for sale in McCormicks specifically states that it is from Moses Lake???? I doubt the Hoh tribe is shipping their steelhead to a distributor in Moses Lake, but then again they're getting them from ~somewhere~. Don't know of any steelhead rivers running thru Moses Lake?? Also, they make no claims of "wild" on their menu.

Bob - I don't understand your argument. If the fish are caught in the Native's nets, they're dead. If they're not, then they proceed upstream. If a fisherman chooses to fish the lower river, he's fishing for the few traveling steelhead that are making it thru the nets.

Is that any worse than fishing for spawners/pooled up fish in the upper river?? They're all Hoh River fish, whether you fish for them at the mouth or up high. And each one has probably had to survive running past a few gill nets.

If you are arguing for lessening the sportfishing impact on a run of Steelhead that is obviously suffering increased harvest from the gill nets in this low water year, then ask that people don't fish the Hoh river.

Or if you're suggesting that the esthetic experience is compramised by the sights of wiggling gillnet floats (=fish dying below the surface) and tribal members beating the sides of their jetboats to drive steelhead into their nets, then you have my complete agreement. :( :eek:

But suggesting that fishing the lower river is somehow more harmful to the steelhead because that's where the gillnets are doesn't make any sense. If the fish are too stressed from avoiding the gillnets, won't they just avoid taking your fly??

Just curious,

Brian / Doublespey

( Brian- I am in total agreement with you. BT 3/3/05)

13. TomB

TomB Active Member

Check out the original post for Pictures.
    -T

14. Sky Dunphy

Sky Dunphy New Member

Looks like the emails made a difference...

I have just spoken with our Director of Operations for Washington, Mr.
    Attila Szabo, and he has informed me that tomorrow, 3/3/05, Wild Halibut
    will replace Wild Steelhead on our menus.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Keri Griffith
    Home Office Hospitality/Guest Relations Manager
    Restaurants Unlimited, Inc.
    206.634.0550 x1400 or "0"
    kgriffith@r-u-i.com
    www.r-u-i.com

15. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

That's great news! I hope it's a permanent change and not just menu rotation.

16. Steve Buckner

We now need to follow up our first round of emails with a thank you to those same restuarants, we want them to know that we appreciate their cooperation and hope that they'll completely abandon wild steelhead on their menus from here on out.

17. Bob Triggs

Agreed Steve.

And maybe we can arrange a "WFF.COM Dinner-Night" with them in recognition of their responsive and responsible action in removing Wild Steelhead from the menu. :mad:

Editorial Note:

Dinner Plans have been cancelled until RUI gets a clue that our Wild Steelhead do NOT belong on their menu.

18. Dylan D

Dylan D Member

Great job guys. I sent my letter of appreciation to Ms. Griffith.

Goes to show that there are small rewards along the way. Way to go. :thumb:

19. TomB

TomB Active Member

I'm down for the dinner night as long as we can be certain that this is going to be a lasting policy until the fish recover (how do we know whether they are doing it just because it has been on the menu for a while and they want something new?)
    -Thomas

20. Davy

Davy Active Member

do you get the whole pretty blue eyed halibut when you order it or just a halibut steak? :eek:

Davy