Wild Irishman 3/0

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by S Fontinalis, Mar 3, 2013.

1. S Fontinalis Active Member

Ratings: +180 / 0
    This is the first fly of any type i've tied in about 6 weeks.

Hook is a 3/0 reworked Sunday, not sure of the exact shape though....

Would like some things back.

There is a nice banksian sub in there under the mallard....wish now i'd put it on the bottom, or made the roof a bit shorter.

Body hackle didnt show up as i'd have liked either.

yada yada yada

hope you guys like it. IMG_0331.JPG
    David Dalan and Mark Mercer like this.
  2. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,570 / 0
    I learned something from creating art -- you don't point out the mistakes you think you made. The majority of the time, most folks won't notice anything wrong -- because really, it's only wrong as far as you're concerned. They won't notice anything amiss unless you point it out.... so don't.
  3. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +502 / 0
    Nice one Eunan! I really like the flies that have more than one rib, especially a flat and oval or twist. I think they look good and you did a nice job on that one. I'm glad to see you tying again...
  4. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +737 / 0
    Yeah, that fly requires no apologies. Superb.
  5. S Fontinalis Active Member

Ratings: +180 / 0
    Thanks fellas.

For those not familiar, banksian cockatoo is a black cockatoo, heavily protected, so the tail feathers are hard to come by.
    These colored feathers come from the female cockatoo, the male feathers are all black.
    This is the sub i used, which is a spray dyed feather of unknown origin, but the colors are yellow in the center blending to orange, and then reddish on the tips.
    [IMG]