Wild Steelhead at local Haggens

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Shopping at Haggens in Mount Vernon tonight I noticed a Wild Steelhead being for sale. I told the kid behind the counter the story behind the Hoh river fish. He said they get all their seafood from a broker out of Seattle and didn't have a clue of about their status.

2. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

Well that sucks.

Wonder if they're "wild" wild, or "wild" hatchery.

3. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Just stop back by and talk to the Manager.

4. Daryle Holmstrom

Media:
    Wild, about 22 pounds and I did talk to the manager and the corporate is the big T that ends with dent. Not good.

5. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Another reason to hate Haggen's. I stopped shopping at Haggen's after the way the shoved the Mt. Vernon store down the throats of the neighborhood by buying off the planning dept. and city council of Mt. Vernon. I don't like the way they do business and refuse to give them any of my money.

6. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    daryle, thanks for being a concerned citizen. if we had more of them on this BB, perhaps we would have the awareness we profess to desire. now, if you can find out who the broker is for haggens, perhaps they would like to hear from a number of us.

7. mozart

mozart Chris

Daryle,

How can one confirm that the steelhead is indeed wild?

8. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    and there goes any sort of lawsuit. there is no punishment. harm is done. :ray1:

9. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    From what i can gather wild is somewhat relative when it comes to fish in the market, particularly steelhead. By calling fish wild, they simply mean that it was not raised in a farm. They would consider hatchery fish "wild" fish because they lived wildly in the ocean. you can confirm this if you were buying a whole fish by checking the adipose, just like you would by fishing. a better way though is to not buy it at all, so that there is less of a market for it. If the fish is fresh this time of year the odds of it being hatcher fish are almost zero beings that there are not many hatchery fish in the river right now. just avoid all chances and dont buy it.

10. WaFlyCaster

WaFlyCaster Tricoptera

Media:

great point joe....

besides if i was purchasing fish from a market i dont think steelhead would ever be near the top of my list. Even chromers dont have the same flavor as a coho, king, or sockeye. On a side note i dont think ive ever purchased any salmonid from a market or store only halibut.

11. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I would think Mt Vernon would be a place sympathetic to boycotting vendors of wild steelhead. Think Skagit. Think wild steelhead release regulations. Think shortened seasons. Doesn't matter if the vendor is Pacific Fish in Seattle buying them from the Quinault or Hoh, the concept's the same.

Haggens goes by TOP Foods around here, and the only salmonid I've seen in the fish case lately is thawed out sockeye from last summer's season.

12. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    Screw Haggens how about Trident? The Bundrant family owns Trident. I went to O'Dea and played football with Joe the son of the owner who owns Trident. His beautiful daughter Jill was a longtime girlfriend of mine, and Julie his other daughter married my best friend's brother Pat. Chuck Bundrant started Trident out of a single rowboat when he got out of the Air Force. He's originally from Tennessee and is a fair, hard assed man's man who has worked and fought for every dollar he's earned. I liked him and respected him alot. Send your grievances to him, not Haggens. He'll tell you exactly how he feels, as will Joe his son. They are in the business of catching fish and selling them, not catching and releasing them. A good family and a good man running things. Not the way we like, but it's hard to turn your back on a couple hundred million. But commerical fisheries are about the almighty dollar aren't they? Reality isn't always right, but it's a bitch. So go screw with the manager of Haggens, Chuck Bundrant has plenty of buyers nationwide. Now when we have money pledged like that to our cause, somebody will actually listen to us. In the meantime, I can only chuckle at your bullshit, as you actually act like anybody gives a shit about out steelhead in Washinton. This has been going on for over a hundred years boys. It's now or never. Coach

13. Jon Bial

Jon Bial Chasing the Magic

Home Page:
    Hey Coach,

Interesting information. I have it on good authority that quite a few people care about steel and salmon. Say at least 4500.

Believe it or not, some things have changed since you left. Come back and see, besides, we miss you here and it's time to fish together again. You remember how to fish in sleet, snow and rain, right?

Jon

14. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    I think I remember how to layer????? :) Good to hear from you and I'll be home soon. Duff

15. Daryle Holmstrom

Media:
    You picked up my hint Coach, didn't want to name names, I've known Chuck from the Herring days in Frisco. I retired from commercial fishing in 2000 after 42 years and I think I can tell a wild from a hatchery steelie (the boys will probably paint me as a bad boy now), but believe it or not they use to sell steelies as silvers for the fresh market in Alaska .50 a pound because the cannery couldn't break down the bones in the retort.

Daryle

16. jasmillo

jasmillo Member

iagree

Take away 1, 10, 15, 100, 1,000 buyers in WA and watch the suppliers move elsewhere in this country, or Europe, or Asia, etc. There will always be a market for these fish. The only way Steelhead will stop being sold as a food item is if it becomes economically viable for these fisherman to conserve them, through guiding, whatever. Until then, unless their hand is forced they will continue to sell them if there is a demand and it is legal.

I'm sorry, I'm as conservation minded as the next person but let's be realistic here. Seems like most of you are barking up the wrong tree. A lot of folks like to post how you went the Pike's or Haggans, but arguing with some 22 year old manager gets nothing done except make you feel better about yourself. You get a few pats on the back on this board and maybe get one store (but probably not) to stop selling these fish. Great, there are probably 10,000 buyers that will take them instead.

I am realistic enough to say I don't know what the answer is (somehow making suppliers "see the light"?) but I know that berating a fishmonger in some small town in WA is going to do nothing to help wild steelhead. It will probably make you sleep better at night but don't fool yourself....

I have an idea...how about getting "wild caught WA steelhead" listed on those annual lists of "good/bad" seafood to eat. Alot of you are more educated on this subject than I. How about starting some type of letter writing campaign to get this done. Those lists are actually read buy alot of folks, and taken into consideration countrywide (how many people have stopped eating farmed atlantic salmon?). Something to consider....at least to get the word out in this country.

17. Daryle Holmstrom

Media:
    Since I retired don't know how many there are, will get back, great subject. And you didn't read my post D-fucking minus

Daryle

18. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    individual effort ALWAYS trumps rationalization. get involved.

19. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    This is one of the issues that I joined the CCA specifically because of. There isn't much I can do by myself except on a local level, so I joined a group of like minded folks.

20. nick42

nick42 basket weaver

but, the more the consumer demands a product the more money goes toward sustaining said product. if there is no demand for 'wild' fish in the market, then the habitat etc. get's no attention $$$$... so shouldn't we actually buy wild?