Wild Steelhead Coalition - Membership Meeting - Wed, May 4 at 6PM

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Chris Scoones, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

PDF attached with more info.

===================

Reminder: Spring Membership Meeting
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    Food & drinks will be hosted by WSC.
    Graham Visitors Center in the UW Arboretum
    2300 Arboretum Drive E, Seattle, 98112

Wild Steelhead need your support now more than ever.
    WSC is the only organization devoted solely to the
    future of wild steelhead. As an all-volunteer coalition
    comprised of individuals like you working together to
    protect these magnificent fish, each and every dollar is
    spent directly on steelhead recovery efforts.
    If you truly love steelhead and are concerned with the
    current state of wild fish returns to the rivers of the
    Pacific Northwest, join us in our fight to protect this
    important resource.

Our Priorities

* Monitor wild steelhead returns and the effectiveness of
    government agencies overseeing their management.
    * Petition regulatory and legislative bodies to employ
    management policies based upon ‘best science’.
    * Develop coalitions with other environmental
    organizations, maximizing impact.
    * Support research that fosters increased knowledge and
    understanding of wild steelhead.
    * Build public awareness and encourage community
    involvement to give wild steelhead a powerful voice.

2. Chris DeLeone

Chris DeLeone Active Member

Remember - its this this week

3. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Any hamsters interested in splitting a ride.

Go Sox,
    cds

4. Chris DeLeone

Very good meeting tonight - it was good seeing Charles down here. They are doing some cool studies on the Skagit and I thank WSC for putting this together.

Chris DeLeone

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Bummed I couldn't make it. Evening classes are the devil.

6. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Very fascinating presentation! The data regarding the genetics study, as well as the acoustic tagging data was very interesting. Also, the information indicating that the run timing on the Skagit River system appears to be expanding was very exciting. This was definitely worth going to.

Regards,

Andrew

7. Chris DeLeone

Andrew - I agree 100% - I just hope they can open the river for CnR sometime soon. I wish I would have known you were there I would have introduced myself.

Maybe next time

8. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

it was an interesting presentation. wish i had met a few of you guys (i presume charles was wearing the red sox shirt and hat.)

the two things that stick with me today are the bull trout deal and the diet of hatchery smolts.

it was fascinating and blew away some common assumptions that big bull trout will actively dig through gravel to get at eggs and alevins.

as for the diet of hatchery steelhead smolts, i was curious if wdfw has a waiver from noaa since these fish directly impact listed chinook. if a waiver is required for a c&r fishery, there should be one for planting non-native fish that eat a listed species.

the genetic stuff was pretty similar to what i've seen in other parts of the state. areas that are accesible to anadramous fish have fish that are genetically very similar (probably due to straying) and the very unique populations tend to be isolated resident populations above barriers.

cool stuff and worth the drive.

chris

9. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Excellent presentation on the Skagit!

I found it interesting that 2 of 3 fish tagged on the same day all spawned within a few miles of each other and the time differences it took each fish to migrate upstream. When a Steelhead wants to move, it hauls ass! Especially the kelts moving back out to sea.

The data on Hatchery Steelhead Smolt diet was disturbing regarding Chinook recovery and yet another reason hatchery fish need to go... Some good questions to ask about a waiver for the hatchery fish as Chris mentions.

10. Charles Sullivan

Yes, that was me. 2 thoughts.

1.) I was there early by an hour. It is quite difficult to find a watering hole in that neck of the woods. The Sox were on ESPN. It took quite a while to find a bar and TV. The Manny's is fresher down there though.

2.) While I am sure the topic is important, I am far more interested in how the radio recievers in the Puget sound can be used to monitor where and when the smolts are dying in the sound. This could lead to why. The fact that the hatchery fish are there twice as long as the wild fish and are doing even worse has to lead us somewhere. I am in the process of digesting all the stuff. Is there anywhere we can get a copy of the power point?

Go Red Sox,
    cds

11. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

I found that interesting as well. Do you suppose that if might possibly have something to do with the length of time that hatchery smolts take to reach the ocean when compared to wild steelhead smolts? That is, hatchery steelhead smolts spending more time in both the Skagit river and the Puget Sound when compared to out migrating wild steelhead smolts. I am just speculating of course. Like you, I am still digesting all this information.

12. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Did they say which way they went once in the sound? I was alway under the impression that most of the Skagit's wild steelhead made a right turn after they leave the river and head up the Strait of Georgia. The WDFW gal thats in charge up here said they weren't seeing any make it to Neah Bay. Which way do they go?

13. the fanz

the fanz Member

Great presentation..I wonder if they record river flows and water temps. as the upstream migrants pass the sonic receivers. That might provide more info about movement differences between individuals fish.

14. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

I would like to see the PPT if available.

15. Charles Sullivan

I think that we'll find out more about this soon. They radio tagged smolts but have not gathered all of the saltwater info yet because they don't own the recievers. They will be getting this information.

Go Sox,
    cds

16. Charles Sullivan

Yes, I do. I think that there is a bottleneck in the sound. The fish are not doing well because something kills them in the sound. The longer you spend there the worse off you are. It also seems that the longer that the wild and hatchery fish are in the sound together, the more oppertunity for shared disease and other impacts there are.

Go Sox,
    cds

17. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

I'm sure that it was an interesting meeting - wish I could have made it.

Charles S.-

While it certianly the case that smolts are dying in Puget Sound I'm not sure that is the production bottleneck that it appears on the surface. It is my understand that both the portion of older (3-salt) fish in the population and the repeat spawner rate in the population have declined in recent years. That would seem to indicate that the usually high mortality is continuing after the fish leave Puget Sound. One of the issue with the Puget Sound mortality is that we have no idea what it was when survivals were good; is it possible that the high early smolt mortality is the norm?

What was the hatchery smolt diet information? During the late 1990s and early 2000s a number of hatchery steelhead smolts were sampled in the Skagit, Green, Deschutes, and Dungeness and virtual no juvenile Chinook were found in any of the stomachs. On the Skagit there were some chum fry found but no Chinook with the fish from the smolt trap having a lot higher predation rates than free swimming smolts sampled - no surprise there.

What information that is available on the route the Skagit smolt take to the ocean that I have seen indicates that most leave via the Straits.

As always studies like the recent Skagit work re-inforces the need to such work to be repeated over time and cross various drainages.

Tight lines
    Curt

18. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Is that the Strait of Juan de Fuca or the Strait of Georgia? Could make a big difference. The Strait of Georgia takes them right past the BC net pens.

19. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Kerry -
    The strait of Juan de Fuca - sorry about that.

It is very clear that the south Sound and Hood Canal fish go out the Straits of Juan de Fuca and generally their smolt to adult survival is lower than the Skagit.

EVen if the Skagit fish were to go north I seriously doubt that sea lice form the net pens would be much of an issue. First the steelhead smolts are much larger than the pink fry that are experiencing mortalities and would tolerate heavier infestation. Secondily and more importantly the behavior of steelhead smolts is such that they trend to travel much further off shore rather than along the shore lines. Just one example of the difference behavior is how few steelhead smolts are caught in sea-run cutthroat mairne fisheries this time of year.

Tight lines
    Curt

20. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Good points Curt. Thanks.