Wild Steelhead for sale: More locations

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by ralfish, Dec 20, 2008.

1. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    Didn't the Wenatchee reputed to be one of the best rivers in the state when it opened to hatchery fishl ast year get 750 wild fish? Didn't the Skagit get less than 1000 wild fish last season... I'm sure some of the better areas get better runs but lets face it a 2000 fish run of winter fish is HUGE anywhere in the world I mean the situk gets something like 4000 winter fish and it has one of the biggest runs in north america, certaintly the biggest amount of fish per mile.

I don't know what crawled up your butt, but I think its nuts that a tribe was able to net 2000 steelhead in washington thats nuts, no single river has a run that can support that kind of harvest and very few in the world have that many fish.

I'm still waiting for you to go fishing with me

2. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    And provide valueble scientific information on steelhead runs with less cost

3. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    Instead of making up numbers, you should attempt to read and recite some factual ones Monkey...

4. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    AK, you might want to check your facts about the Wenatchee being one of the best steelhead rivers in the state. I'm not sure where you got your info since NOAA considers the Wenatchee steelhead "to be at a moderate to high risk of extinction". The opening last year for hatchery fish was not a sign that the wild fish were doing better, quite the opposite actually. See the below population assessment from the Upper Columbia recovery plan: (http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/Salmon-Reco...or-Columbia/Upper-Columbia/upload/UC_Plan.pdf)

"Wenatchee Population
    When considering the factors that determine diversity and spatial structure, the Wenatchee steelhead population is currently considered to be at a high risk of extinction. Based only on abundance and productivity, the naturally produced Wenatchee steelhead population is not viable and has a greater than 25% chance of extinction in 100 years. In sum, the Wenatchee steelhead population is not currently viable and has a moderate to high risk of extinction."