Wild Steelhead for sale Online!

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Ringlee, May 5, 2010.

1. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +53 / 1
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,359 / 9
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
  3. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +853 / 1
    A quick phone call was made - these fish are from the Quinualt or the Hoh, if you weren't already aware. WTF indeed.
  4. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +317 / 1
    I looked at the picture and wonder if the advertising is correct. It just goes to show you how long and far-reaching the Boldt Decision was. We'll be living with that forever.
  5. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,623 / 2
    I just don't get it why this is allowed to happen....
  6. Dehlan G Member

UW
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    This came up a couple months ago.. emails were sent and complaints were made to the pike place fish market... I guess nothing was changed
  7. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,359 / 9
    More phone calls, more emails and less business there, maybe that will send the message.
  8. Fly Boy .

"The Rock", WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Many of the tourists who get the fish put on ice and shipped wouldn't know that this is a very bad idea, but the owner of the fish market sure should. Very disappointing.
  9. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +484 / 0
    Lets send a message to the Pike Place Market management. We will take our money elsewhere until they stop the vendors from selling wild SH. They are dependent on tourisim dollars. I'm sure they would like to avoid negative publicity. Does anyone know if there is a petition form/website out there? I'm a member of the South Sound Fly Fishers. Are there any other club members who can talk to some people? Lets do something about this......
  10. casaboba Member

Seattle, WA.
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Below is an excerpt from Wild Steelhead Coalition President Rich Simms written response to a recent news story run by the Peninsula Daily News. I found it on the WSC website (http://wildsteelheadcoalition.org/ ) . It should serve as a concise preable to the points which need to be made to Pike Place Fish Market. I hope that it may be of expedient use to you.

"Plain and simple: Wild steelhead are in sad shape these days with the majority of the runs in our state either listed under the endangered species act or on the brink. The west end streams of the Olympic Peninsula are considered by many has one of the last strong holds for wild steelhead, but they are faltering under the same failed management schemes that have been the demise of so many other great steelhead streams. This year the Quillayute river system failed to meet its spawning escapement level by 25% and the Hoh River has been very irregular over the last decade in meeting its spawning escapement level. Yet over aggressive harvest management strategies continue to exist on wild steelhead, which are clearly contributing to these escapement failures and, at the same time, are coming under increased angling pressure as one of the last places to fish for wild steelhead."

- Bob A.
  11. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,143 / 4
    Well isn't that lovely. Can I order up some Eagle legs and Spotted Owl wings also? How ridiculous.
  12. Stewart Skunk Happens

Spokane
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    I'd think organizing a peaceful demonstration with some advance calls to news organizations would shame them into better behavior. They have the law on their side, but it's ethically void. They would be facing law-abiding sportsmen, not whack PETA types.
  13. Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Federal Way, WA
    Ratings: +117 / 0
    Gentlemen, your voices as consumers carry great weight. I have sent them a message using their contact form, and also signed their guest book with a comment.

While the tribes cannot be compelled to behave ethically, or responsibly, we as consumers can certainly make our interests and concerns known. When there is no market for these fish, there won't be any reason to catch/kill them.

Your comments may not do much good, but if you make no comment, and let this go with no recourse, then your voice is silent.

Your call.
  14. Jerry White Member

City, State
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    Good idea! That would draw the (TV) media... and that, my boys, is what you need.:thumb:
  15. KEM Member

Twisp, WA
    Can I get that in bulk Chris? My garden needs fertilizer...
  16. Stewart Skunk Happens

Spokane
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    Citori, great idea. They just got this in their email:

Gentlemen:

I live in Spokane and actually rarely eat fish. The reason I am sending this email is to express displeasure about the sale of wild steelhead (yes it is legal, sadly). Wild steelhead populations in Washington have been dropping steadily. Most sport fishermen only retain hatchery fish. In many river systems in the PNW, steelhead are considered an endangered species. Please consider wildlife conservation in your very own neck of the woods. Please consider that the laws that allow the catch and kill of wild steelhead are outmoded. The treaties which give our native tribes the right to sell fish commercially no longer make sense.

We have stopped plundering the remaining old growth forests. No new dams have been built in years. Folks are trying to be more “green” and aware of their impact on the environment. You can take a positive stand against the commercial fishing of sensitive native species.

100 years ago the Spokane river had steelhead and salmon. They are long gone.
  17. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +565 / 0
    This isn't anything new. I assumed it had been going on for years.... did I miss something.
  18. Mike Lee It's all about the sauce.....

South King County
    Interesting....Pulled up the site to see what angle/motive they are moving/driving at. Came across their ventures of the "goal" the company had and reached to become world famous. They have now found a new vision.

"Now our vision is ‘World Peace, an idea whose time has come.’ How are we going to accomplish this? We don’t know fully yet. It will unfold as we go…When you take a stand and commit to something, it’s amazing how the world seems to line up with your commitment and all the right events seem to just happen…”

By their own words they should receive our emails,letters,comments, or what ever type of communications with open arms. With integrity. Perhaps we can help them in the regards to what is sold under the ethical sense and perhaps they can aid us in the education of others to avoid purchasing products such as wild steelheads from any vendor.

Here is a link to send your comments.

http://www.pikeplacefish.com/Contact-Us.html
  19. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +886 / 0
    More fun to just shoot `em. Of course, her Ladyship says that's my response to everything, but that's not true: I have been known to favor impalement.:rolleyes:
  20. Broderick Smith SeaToTree

SeaToTree, WA
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Email sent...this gets the blood going.