Wild Steelhead for sale Online!

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Ringlee, May 5, 2010.

1. For anyone using this for their letter to Pike Place Fish, please note the date of the when the article was written - December 16, 2009. So in other words, this is referring to the 2008/2009 winter/spring steelhead run, not the 2009/2010 winter/spring steelhead run. So in other words, you might want to edit that piece of information if you are going to use the information contained in the letter written by the Wild Steelhead Coalition. Also, I’m not sure if the escapement figure for the most recent season has been completed yet. However, I would not want to include potentially inaccurate information in my own letter.

Regards,

Andrew

2. people need to stand out front and hand out fliers to folks going in telling them the facts of what they are supporting...i would do it myself if i didnt live 2000 miles away

3. Here is a reply i just got to my email from them:

I have received your email and will forward it to the owner. Please know that we don't buy any illegal or endangered steelhead. The Native Americans pretty much run the commercial steelhead industry in Washington and are highly regulated by the state. It is not illegal for them to catch and or sell wild fish. The fish are coming from rivers on the Olympic Peninsula, and if you check the link I sent you, you can see that the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife are not concerned with Steelhead populations in this area. Thanks for your concern. Anders @ Pike Place Fish

http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/diversty/soc/soc.htm

4. The argument won't change - "we're not doing something wrong if the Gov't says it's OK."

5. email response i recieved from pikes place:

"I have received your email and will forward it to the owner. Please know that we don't buy any illegal or endangered steelhead. The Native Americans pretty much run the commercial steelhead industry in Washington and are highly regulated by the state. It is not illegal for them to catch and or sell wild fish. The fish are coming from rivers on the Olympic Peninsula, and if you check the link I sent you, you can see that the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife are not concerned with Steelhead populations in this area. Thanks for your concern. Anders @ Pike Place Fish"

my response:

Anders,

Thank you for your response. I realize what you are doing is not illegal and that the Native Americans have tribal rights to these fish. That is why it is necessary for the other end of the supply chain to stop this tragedy. Please note that many Olympic Peninsula steelhead rivers have not been meeting escapement levels over the past decade and are continuing to decline. These rivers are some of only a few left that are not past the point of return for the wild population. I believe that you could continue to sell fin clipped hatchery steelhead under the title of "fresh steelhead" and see no loss in business. While many in the recreational fishing community would like to see the eventual complete elimination of hatcheries and focus on conservation of wild populations, where when truly healthy they could again be harvested in limited numbers, right now this seems a fair compromise. Many in the recreational fishing community love seafood and your market but as long as this continues an increasing number of people will not shop there for any seafood.

Thank you for your consideration, and please do forward this to the owner,

Zack Williams"

in order for this to ever stop every single person on this board needs to say something in a respectful manner... keep up the good work folks

6. Thank you for reiterating the obvious Andrew. Referencing the dates WILL add precision & context to the points listed in the WSC letter should anyone choose to quote them. This said, I doubt that much has changed (sadly) between the 2010 & 2009 winter / spring runs. Selling Wild Steelehead commercially serves only to accelerate their demise. I hope that our collective letters & phone calls against selling Wild Steelehead commercially help to stop this practice at the Pike Place Fish Market. THE SQUEAKY WHEEL GETS THE GREASE!

7. Again, here's where the argument breaks down - "stop what you are doing, so that I can continue to do what I like to do." That logic won't work. Either everyone stops fishing for steelhead, or no-one will.

I don't agree with the harvesting of any wild fish.

8. We should be pointing out that WDFW's "lack of concern" is the problem, not a justification for their actions. WDFW's stance on these fish populations is political, not scientifically based.

9. There was a similar movement in British Columbia, which manged to curb or eliminate the sale of endangered fish by attacking the market. Was it "Ocean Canada", or something similar? I suggest we contact that group, which may be affiliated with the Vancouver Aquarium for guidance on how they organized their efforts.

I will look into this, but 20 heads are better than one, if you have any knowledge of this group or actions, please chime in.

My letter to "The Fishmonger"
    Greetings:

I am adding my voice to the growing numbers concerned at your lack of environmental ethics. We realize that it is legal to purvey wild steelhead, but the species is in dire peril of becoming extinct shortly. You have the choice to help concerned citizens change the status quo, or to continue it. I purposefully do not say perpetuate the status quo, as continued harvest of wild fish will inevitably lead to their disappearance.

Be advised that a groundswell movement is growing to eliminate the market for wild/endangered species. Your organization has to choose whether to be part of the solution, or to be vilified in the public eye.

I am especially disappointed by your attempt to hide behind the law by stating that it's LEGAL to sell an endangered species. At one time it was LEGAL to own humans and beat your wife in this country, but no right thinking American will approve of these practices on a moral basis, regardless of legislation.

Please help us to change the future for wild steelhead, this will be a superior public relations stance for your company.

Don Freeman
    Conservation Chair
    South Sound Fly Fishers

10. I am writing in regards to the selling of Wild Steelhead at the market.

I am aware of the situation, and realize full well the right of the tribes to these fish, and your legal right to sell them. However, WDFW's lack of concern over these fish populations is part of the problem many of us are trying to point out. Their stance on the harvestability of these fish is stricly political, and not scientific. The only way that they're going to change their stance on it is if a greater number of us band together to fight to change it.

These fish populations are severely depressed. While they be the strongest populations of steelhead in the world, they are still on the brink of collapse.

I for one love coming to the market and purchasing sustanably caught Alaskan salmon, shellfish, and crab. I have been a customer at the fish market on multiple occasions. But in the past two years, my education on the plight of wild steelhead has sent me buying elsewhere. I simply cannot support a business that supports the demise of an icon of this state.

Thank you,
    Evan

11. I sent a similar email earlier today evan, expect a reply like this:

"I have received your email and will forward it to the owner. Please know that we dont buy any illegal or endangered steelhead. The Native Americans pretty much run the commercial steelhead industry in Washington and are highly regulated by the state. It is not illegal for them to catch and or sell wild fish. The fish are coming from rivers on the Olympic Penninsula, and if you check the link i sent you, you can see that the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife are not concerned with Steelhead populations in this area. Thanks for your concern."

Sad story, but they seem to be douped by the Tribes and WDFW.

12. FYI... I sent the Pike Place Fish Market an e-mail yesterday afternoon (5/5) via their company web-site asking them what rivers and in what states the wild steelhead they were selling came from. I have yet to receive a reply. IF and When I do I will let you know.

13. The Hoh and the Quinault.

14. does anyone know if they are still gill netting the Hoh or Quialty right now?

15. So looks like we are all getting the copy/paste response from Anders. Perhaps we combine our emails and forwardthem to another department, but which one? Any suggestions? Does anyone have an accurate count to this years wild steelhead population and the percentage of depletion?

16. Salvo fired this afternoon...

Respectfully, your information is in error.

The tribal fishers are not constrained by the laws of the state of Washington, and are NOT regulated by the state. The tribes are co-managers with the State, and apply their own rules/regulations. The wild steelhead they are catching, killing and selling are indeed among the depressed runs. They are fishing legally, but still impacting wild steelhead. The management of these fisheries is in question, and there is definitely a major concern with the survival and escapement of wild steelhead in the Hoh and Quinault Rivers. There have been serious disease issues in hatcheries on those rivers this winter, and without healthy wild stocks to restart the hatcheries stock, the entire run will be lost.

While you are correct in that it is legal for the tribes to catch and sell wild steelhead, it is simply unacceptable for a socially responsible business to contribute to the decline of wild steelhead in Washington by patronizing those who would catch and sell the last wild steelhead in Washington simply because they can. There is a large and vocal community of people who are aware that these fish ARE endangered, threatened and depressed, and that buying/selling them is simply socially irresponsible and unacceptable. We encourage you to be socially responsible. Trafficking in wild steelhead is not OK. It will be unacceptable to myself and a growing segment of the population to sell WILD steelhead. If you restrict your purchases and sales to fin-clipped hatchery origin steelhead, that will go a long way to helping protect the wild stock.

To say that what you are doing is legal is insufficient. Please honor the words on your website. You can't avoid social responsibility by hiding behind what's "legal"...​

Then, after a while, we asked ourselves, "What does this mean - being world famous?" And we created our own definition. For us it means going beyond just providing outstanding service to people. It means really being present with people and relating to them as human beings. You know, stepping outside the usual "we're in business and you're a customer" way of relating to people and intentionally being with them right now, in the present moment, person to person. We take all our attention off ourselves to be only with them...looking for ways to serve them. We're out to discover how we can make their day. We've made a commitment to have our customers leave with the experience of having been served. They experience being known and appreciated whether they buy fish or not. And it's not good enough just to want that - it takes an unrelenting commitment. We've made it our job to make sure that experience happens for every customer." To us, being ‘World Famous' is a way of being. You can't manualize it. It gets created by each one of us, newly every time. It comes out differently for different people. It also depends on who the customer is...how they react. It's about taking care of people. We're always on the lookout for how we can make a difference in people's lives.

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Pike Place Fish Market <pikeplacefish@pikeplacefish.com> wrote:

I have received your email and will forward it to the owner. Please know that we don't buy any illegal or endangered steelhead. The Native Americans pretty much run the commercial steelhead industry in Washington and are highly regulated by the state. It is not illegal for them to catch and or sell wild fish. The fish are coming from rivers on the Olympic Peninsula, and if you check the link I sent you, you can see that the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife are not concerned with Steelhead populations in this area. Thanks for your concern. Anders @ Pike Place Fish