Wild Steelhead for sale Online!

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Ringlee, May 5, 2010.

1. Exactly! A few years back my local Alberton's store had 'these' for sale in my local market. A good thing is I'd traded there for years and new the gal. Told her that selling 'Steelhead' was a major offence here in Oregon, REGARDLESS of where you got same. 'You're kidding?' 'Nope.' Told her I'd be back in a moment with a copy of the State Fishing Regulations and let her read the particular section that address' the issue.

Dead silence .. and a low 'Oh Shxt ...' Back there a few days later and the fish were gone ... as they were (she told me) from every Albertson's store in Oregon.

Why? State law forbids you even giving a neighbor 'all, or any portion thereof,' a Steelhead unless a written receipt accompanies stating who caught the fish, where, the fisherman's license number, etc., and etc.

Gotta love it!

fae

2. I say we organize a demonstration. We get a bunch of us out there on a Sunday handing out fliers, educating people, maybe making a ruckus, we could have a big effect.

Would anyone be into doing this?

Jason

3. http://www.pikeplacefish.com/profiles.html

instead of just e-mailing Anders, who is apparently the PR guy, try to get ahold of Mr. John Yokoyama, who I believe is the owner, his brother Richard the acting manager, or Sam Samson who has been there forever and is listed on Manta* as being the manager.

*yeah manta isn't always accurate, and I'm no detective so give me a break if I've posted inaccurate info.

4. just playing devils advocate here... What are they suppose to do with the wild steelhead they choke to death while fishing for clones? Just waste em?

5. Really? You think there needs to be a devil's advocate position here? Really? Extend arms, remove head (from you know where).
    Derail the market for the wild steelhead and the tribes demand for that supply will dwindle. Cause the demand to dwindle and perhaps there will be a reason for tactical changes in fishing methodologies.
    Change the fishing methodologies and maybe the sport fishermen and the tribal fishermen can begin to walk down the path of co-management and minimizing impact to wild fish together for a change.

Feel free to put your head back if you like.

6. Mumbles,

I agree with you, writing letters helps, making a protest helps, getting as much information to those that can effect a change is key. Although it is all supply and demand, without demand and a supply that is believed to be not of concern as pointed out by Pike's nothing will change, it's ethics pure and simple or lack of, if Pikes does not buy them they will end up on a sushi bar overseas or someplace else, its all based on money. I personally think that a selective harvest and the investment into selective harvesting research needs to be fast tracked.

WDFW has this information on selective harvesting:
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/commercial/selective/methods.htm

Trap nets to me make the most sense to me, kill all the hatchery fish you want please do it, but let the wild beauties go. Get a ban on gill nets and we might make a difference.

7. they need to quit fucking selling them and quit fucking killing them

8. I got the same reply that the rest of you got- then I told them this:

"
    I didn't say what you are doing is illegal -but I believe what you are doing is WRONG!
    Steelhead fishing for non-native Washingtonians is highly regulated - but you are incorrect in saying the Native American fishery is highly regulated. You have obviously never seen an unattended gill net, a derelict gill net, or the waste that often goes with Native American fishing in this state. Do the right thing and QUIT SUPPORTING THE NATIVE STEELHEAD KILL FISHERY. It is a simple decision on your part!
    Ask yourself "What product will we replace this with when they are all gone?"

Then just start selling it NOW! Be on the cutting edge! Do something RIGHT for the state that allows you to be successful.
    The anti-kill caucus is gaining steam-what side do you want to end up on when the rubber hits the road?
    Easy answer in my opinion!
    "

9. Here is Some Information for anyone planing more emails.
    These Fish are coming from the Hoh and Quinault rivers. Here is some data from WSC and WDFW on Escapement numbers

Discussion with a WDFW Biologist via Email, The Hoh Escapment number is 2400 fish and only 2256 returned in 2009...
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/webmaps/salmonscape/sasi/full_stock_rpts/6525.pdf
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/webmaps/salmonscape/sasi/full_stock_rpts/6462.pdf
    http://wildsteelheadcoalition.org/Repository/WSC_ESU 2_Charts 2006.pdf
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/cgi-bin/database...ort=sort&srchtype=within&job=search&wria=wria

10. My 2-cents sent:

By now, no doubt you have been inundated with e-mails protesting the sale of wild Steelhead at Pike Place Market. I won't reiterate the reasons for our collective concern. I will however, challenge you to prove whether yours is a business focusing solely on profit bereft of ethical constraint, or a Washington State business that prides itself in appropriate stewardship of State resources with a business ethic tempered by concern for the environment & the dwindling stocks of wild fish occupying that environment.

Pike Place Market was always a “must-see” during visits to Seattle and a fun place to visit & shop . . . those feelings of enjoyment have now been replaced by spasms of disgust. I sincerely hope that you reconsider your wild Steelhead offering.

Thank you,

Jim Ficklin

11. The misconception of many people nowday's that native american's are the 'original' conservationist's is part of the problem.
    It has never been true and from what I have seen in 50 year's ..it never will be true.
    I think an organized group of 'protesters' (Seattle LOVES good protesters./.don't they??)
    with a couple sandwich boards in front of the fish market at prime time (say when the cruiseline customers are there)
    might even bring out the press for a little exposure to this...I can see tv stations now...making it sound like recreational fisherman don't want poor indian's the chance to earn a living...Only the modern press could not get even this right..

12. I have received NO reply (how uncivil & that lack of action screams "WE DON'T CARE" to me.). This suggests the philosophy that "If you ignore a problem long enough, it will go away . . . " Don't let up, folks.

13. FYI... I have e-mailed Pike Place Fish Market on their company web site 3 times in as many days. I have politely inquired which rivers & states their wild steelhead are caught from. I have not received a reply.

14. Casaboba, that information has been posted. The fish are from the Hoh and Quinault.

15. Emails might get them sweating a bit but the general public is not seeing them and still buying wild steelhead unaware of the consequences. Now maybe a few dozen people holding signs and handing out flyers directly in front of the fish market to inform the public within sight of the evidence would change something. Or at least get them sweating more!

16. I'm in. Someone who lives in Seattle should contact the Patagonia store down the street to see if they want to be involved - maybe stuff bags with fliers that outline the issue.

17. The idea of protests, pickets and e-mails are all a noble cause! I came of age in the 60's and know what that is all about.

In this particular scenario I don't feel targeting the end of the string so to speak is going to produce any significant results. Pike Place Market has been hearing this dialogue for a long time.

As in most things anymore money talks! So perhaps the focus should be towards creating more money for the tribes regarding wild steelhead. Perhaps if a coalition of OP guides, conservation groups and others approached the tribes involved and made an offer to support a C&R fishery that the tribes would directly benefit from financially in a way that every steelhead would be worth far more money to them if released rather than harvested.

For example, and bear with me, but this is still kind of rough. lets say for example that a "fishing fee" is collected by every guide for every angler fishing on the OP regardless boundaries. That implies even waters not inside the reservation boundaries. this fee would in turn be given to the appropriate tribe in turn for their support in not harvesting wild fish. In turn the guides would be given some priviledges to fish inside the reservation boundaries. This may also encourage some tribal members to become guides for C&R and reap the benefits.

For those not hiring a guide then maybe a system of one day permits or something like that could be created for fishing on tribal water. This is not without precedence. The Yakima tribe has done this for years for bird hunting opportunities on their land in Eastern Wa.

The point is, if a wild fish is worth more alive than dead to the tribe, then the netting of wild fish would end.

Dave

18. boldt decision.... if there was a bunch of politians getting hung for being dbags insert it here!

19. The objective is to eliminate gill netting in favor of selective harvest methods that clean out the factory fish, and release the wild to spawn.

20. I wonder if how much the tribes make is more than we spend on rescuing the dying runs. It'd make sense just to pay them not to net.