Wild Steelhead for sale Online!

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Ringlee, May 5, 2010.

1. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Bad news Jason. We already do, and they still net. Few, very few do, but a Gill Net only takes one guy in a boat to screw up a river.

2. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Home Page:
    :beathead::beathead::beathead:

3. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    ahh yes the boldt decision. i am sure you folks also know that besides giving the indians 50% of the agreed to allowable catch, it also directed WDFW to act in matters of CONSERVATION with the legal authority to close harvest by anyone. gee, funny how we never discuss this aspect of boldt. it also provided a legal avenue for the indians if WDFW acted to close harvest, the federal court system. now of course this means that WDFW would have to have the numbers, not the voodoo statistics they use to screw the sport anglers, and the backbone to actually focus on something other than MSY.

so what gives with steelhead? there is NO steelhead management plan produced by WDFW. i am sure you can see the reason why right there at pike place market. thats one aspect of this problem. the second aspect is QUOTA SWAPPING, a little know practice by the cosy relationship which has developed between WDFW and the co-managers.

it plays out something like this: '...hey, how about we swap 80% of our ocean crab quota (never mind that we never ocean fish for crab nor do we have the required equipment) for another 20% of salmon/steelhead?...' and that is how the harvest of 60-70% of returning steelhead are killed by the indians and offered for sale.

it takes two conspirators to make this 'crime' work and we have this relationship right now between WDFW and the co-managers.

4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    is there any credible agency/group out there capable of getting hard numbers of what's happening to take a class action lawsuit to court vs the WDFW and the co managers?

5. Justin Burrows

Justin Burrows New Member

I wrote them an email expressing the irresponsibility and short sighted-ness of selling these fish, hopefully the added weight of the emails they get from us and other fishermen will do something. Maybe they will realize (but probably not) that the WDFW has let salmon and steelhead, let alone the natural cutthroat and bull trout populations, go down the drain under their watch, and it is up to us to conserve, 'cause they sure as heck aint doing it.

6. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    Friday, OBP had this discussion about the hatchery/wild fish debate. http://www.opb.org/thinkoutloud/shows/fishing-answers/ What was disturbing to me was this chief, Greg Higgins, (comes in on the mp3 at about 28:00) that irresponsibly insists that wild fish taste better than hatchery fish, that is , hatchery fish released and caught in the wild, not farm raised fish. It seems clear that this is a case of confirmation bias, or circular logic since the way he identifies wild fish is that it's just obvious by just by looking at them.

7. Snake

Snake tryin' not to get too comfortable

As long as the law allows the tribes to keep killing wild steelhead, and the tribes can continue to find a market for the meat, I'm afraid it won't end until the last wild fish is dead. :mad:

Unless the law changes, or the WDFW grows a pair, it's unlikely the tribes will stop the killing. Pretty tough to affect the top of the supply chain, without mucho political muscle.

Waving signs and handing out fliers outside of Pike Place Market will get a few consumers/tourists to think about it, and might get some media attention (if coordinated effectively :rolleyes:), but it would only affect a small number of those at the bottom of the supply chain.

It's the middle buyers/sellers that need to be targeted for maximum effect.

If you're out to eat, and see steelhead on the menu, ask whether it is wild, or not. Be calm and rational, and if it's wild, ask to speak to a manager, express your concerns (again, calmly and rationally), and then take your money elsewhere. With the economy as it is, money talks louder than ever. Especially lost money. The restaurant buyers are a major purchaser of wild fish, and even if only a few were pursuaded to take steelhead off the menu, it would trickle back to the tribes.

This is one of my favorite methods for "subliminal social reform": Go into a fish market that sells wild steel. Ignore the wild steel. Start picking out expensive goods, like canned crab meat and caviar, and stack them on the counter. Start up a conversation with the boss/manager/owner. Ask his recommendations for the expensive stuff, then watch his eyes get bigger as you build a pile of goods worth hundreds of dollars. Then, casually, look at the steelhead and say "Wow, great looking steelhead. Is it wild?" . Say it like you think wild steelhead is the best thing you could possibly find (not with disgust, or you'll blow the ruse). If it's not labelled hatchery or wild, the boss/manager/owner will not feel unwilling to reveal its true source. If its wild, explain why you can't support a business that supports the killing of wild steelhead. then walk out.

Guaranteed to make the boss/manager/owner think twice about buying from the tribes.

8. Dehlan G

Dehlan G Member

Media:
    Now that's a good idea Snake

9. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    Monday night I took the new wife to Zesta Cucina in Yakima and she wanted the Wild Steelhead special on the menu. I asked gingerly about the origin of the fish. The server told they get them from the Colvilles. Well, the Colville's don't have much access to steelhead since Grand Collee Dam was built. I'm familiar with the Colvilles' program that raises big rainbow trout in pens in Rufus Woods and FDR reservoir. I emailed the manager, informing him about the wild steelhead controversy and asking if the fish on the menu from the Colville penned rearing operation?

He got back to me the next day, saying "a family owned seafood company based in Portland, Ore., has purchased a steelhead farm on a stretch of the Columbia River in Nespelem, Wash., within the Colville Tribal Territory . Marking the company’s first foray into finfish aquaculture, the farm will be operated using sustainable, all natural and humane practices.

"'As the seafood industry evolves, Pacific Seafood remains committed to adapting to the needs of our customers as well as staying on the forefront of sustainable fishery operations,' said Frank Dulcich, president and CEO of Pacific Seafood Group. 'We believe that a healthy and balanced environment makes for healthy and fast growing fish and we are thrilled to move into the aquaculture arena in this capacity.'

"Located in a remote part of the Okanogan Highlands, the farm follows strict aquaculture practices and closely monitors the water quality, sediment quality and health of the fish. Sustainable practices include:

· Fish feed containing all natural ingredients made from sustainable sources. The feed does not contain growth hormones, growth promoting antibiotics, pesticides or herbicides.
    · Low-density rearing
    · Farming in a pathogen-free environment
    · Lower transportation and energy costs, due to its domestic location, compared to imported seafood

"Additionally, scientific research conducted at the site reveals that sustainable net-pen farming increases the bio-diversity and the bio-abundance of the surrounding environment. The site creates a 'reef effect' and increases the amount of organically available nutrients and life teaming around the area."

So although these fish might be more sustainable and eco-friendly than salt water pen reared fish, I wouldn't call them wild or steelhead.

The manager further stated "I have to apologiz for my ignorance regarding trout versus steelhead, maybe you can enlighten me.
    We buy this fish as being close to the town of Nespelen, WA. It is a farmed (steelhead?) according to our sales person, but you have opened a very imprtant questions, is it wild or is it farmed and I guess the answer is farmed.

"I apologize for misleading word in the menu and it will be corrected ASAP
    ."

10. Fly Boy

Fly Boy .

Media:
    The "World Famous" and "world peace seeking" Pike Place Fish Market could take a few lessons from the manager of that restaurant in Yakima.

11. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    thank you very much for following through with the the restaurant and learning about a new and pretty exciting venture in land based fish farming. i understood that a facility was operating somewhere on the west side raising Coho in fresh water, but this one needs way more attention. you might think about sending that response along to the pike street market manager. getting open net pens out of the water and production facilities into ponds is exactly what the scandanavian countries have had to do, a pretty sound eco based decision i'd say.