Wild Steelhead Need Your Help by 9/27!

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Rich Simms, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Rich Simms

Rich Simms Active Member

Media:
    Wild Steelhead Need Your Help by 10/3!

Right now the WDFW is soliciting scoping input for the state's new steelhead plan. This plan could set the stage for steelhead management the next 20 years! Written input deadline is September 27 and public meetings are schedule for Ellensburg and Port Angeles. http://wdfw.wa.gov/do/newreal/release.php?id=sep2506d The WSC has talking points available if anyone is interested to add input contact me by email.

I hope anglers will get involved. I was at the Mt Vernon meeting and the WDFW staff outnumber the attenders. :confused:
    With all the passion on various forums regarding steelhead, I am simply amazed at the apathetic behavior when it comes to actually getting involved!

www.wildsteelheadcoalition.com

Editorial note: Rich Simms is the President of the Wild Steelhead Coalition

2. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    see my post above.

3. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Here is an opportunity to make a difference. I hope we can muster some speakers for this public meeting process. If we dont we will only have ourselves to blame for not participating. It is a life's work.

4. OlyFlyguy

OlyFlyguy Member

Rich, you said the WSC provides some 'talking points' on this issue. Could you post them here so others can easily see what they are? I assume those same points would be useful to include in whole or in part in any written communication to WDFW?

Doesn't take much to zip off a letter or email, it's little effort for potentially a big payoff--time is running out for our wild steelhead.

5. Rich Simms

Rich Simms Active Member

Media:
    Scoping points developed and submitted to the WDFW Steelhead Management plna by the WSC are available on the WSC website http://www.wildsteelheadcoalition.com/ on the front page under "WSC Scoping Comments" Anyone is welcome to use all of, just parts of it or compose your own using our info. But- The important thing is that we all get involved and send your respective comments.

6. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Thanks Rich! I'm planning on attending the Ellensburg meeting and the WSC comments were very helpful.

Sue

7. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

Media:

You can sure tell who they DON'T want to hear from, by thier choice of locations!

8. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Come on guys and gals, see if you can make one of these meetings. There's also a meeting coming up in Olympia on 9/25 for people who missed the other 2 Puget Sound area meetings. I'm going to have to leave work a couple hours early to make the Ellensburg meeting, but I think it's important to show them we care.

Sue

9. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    nomlaster, the meetings are being held in their management region 6. this is only the first of several iterations on the steelhead plan. as each management region and effected watershed is considered, i would assume they will be holding meetings in other locations. i didn't sense they are trying to exclude anyone but instead gather info for this first set of plans for this specific region. keep in mind that they are charged with developing plans for every watershed in this state that contains steelhead, every watershed.

10. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    An additional WDFW Public Meeting has ben slated for Oct 2nd in Vancouver.

And the public comment period- for written comments not emails- has been extended to October 3.

The above WDFW link, in Rich Simm's original topic, has been changed to the new wdfw updated calendar announcement link.

11. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I attended the meeting in Ellensburg. It was a small turnout, about 6 people. I was under the impression that they were only accepting comments about the status of Puget Sound steelhead and the classification NOAA will decide in early 2007. Overall, the general attitude was WDFW is hoping they are not listed to give them more time to implement their management plans. The consensus of the audience was that the State, in one form or another, has been managing steelhead for a long time and that still hasn't changed the fact that wild steelhead in Puget Sound (and statewide) have been declining for years.