Wild Steelhead on ice at Pike Place Market

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by markdmc, Jan 3, 2009.

1. markdmc

markdmc New Member

just there today, 1st hand report. it was the stand right at the end of pike street, did'nt check at the fish throwers, too disgusted. cancelled my order of schucked oysters and lox, and left.

2. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    What can be done in that situation, call WDFW? I'd bet that it would only take an incident or two of the law showing up to discourage them from selling wild steel...

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    It's legal. Fish markets at Pike Place have been selling steelhead, wild, hatchery, and farmed, for years.

Sg

4. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    yep, i called the police this morning because they were selling beef at the local safeway, and we know what cows do to streams.... i think the cops should have this solved in no time.

5. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Media:
    Nothing you can do about it except try to convince the owner of the shop not to sell the fish.
    -Ethan

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Vote with $$$$ that is all that matters. Support wild steelhead gravel to gravel programs. It may be legal but it sucks.

7. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Damn... it's legal? :mad: Alright well I'm sure the hell not going down the path of throwing red paint on people that buy them... or, would that be chartreuse paint? Hmm... :hmmm:

8. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    The Hoh River has been one of the main supplies of steelhead to the Pike Place Market for decades. They stack em up like cordwood in there every year from now until spring. Nothing new at all. Coach

9. Brian James

Brian James New Member

Media:
    Ha ha ha.

Did you know, cows are also the leading cause of global warming. They're taking over one fart at at time.

10. henryv

henryv New Member

Are you sure it's actually wild salmon?

There is nothing that stops anyone from selling a hatchery fish and labeling it as wild. In fact, most of the "wild" salmon sold in the US has some hatchery fish mixed in.

Fred Meyer was selling "wild" fish last year with clipped adipose fins.

If you're really bored, grab a metal detector and run it over the heads of the fish and see how many CWT you get in them.

But seriously it does suck. There are going to be wild and endangered in any commercially viable run.

11. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

I saw them last week looked like a combo of wild and unclipped fish from a hatchery. The other thing I notice was the Atlantics were referred to a "local" salmon w/o ref to being A/S.

12. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:

Hmmm What?

13. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Media:
    No friggin' wonder I can't catch a steelie!!! lol

14. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    alright guys, we stopped a fish supply company and a restaurant top chef on the EAST COAST from buying and selling wild steelhead with a few emails and some education. I'm sure we can step up the effort here in our own backyard to try to educate the people at the local fish markets on the plight of the wild steelhead.

15. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    10-15% of wild copper river sockeye are hatchery fish

16. markdmc

markdmc New Member

I was not aware that this has gone on for years. I am new to the area. I have become aware of the plight of these fish in my time here mostly through Doug Rose's book "Color of Winter". Escapements, gene pool degradation, 1974 Boldt decision, tribal netting, etc... all new to me.
    Wild steelhead became available last winter at an east coast grocery chain called Wegman's. An internet community similar to this one that is run by a local fly shop (Oak Orchard Fly Shop) became aware of the situation. Although thier game is lake run rainbow's, they began a campaign of visit's and emails to state thier dissatisfaction. The responses went from standoffish to conciliatory. The fish came off the shelves, but this may be due to them becoming unavailable. We will have to wait and see what happens this year.
    In light of this, and the previous post on the Washington D.C. restauranteer, you can imagine my surprise when I saw that huge fish on ice right in the backyard of the people I assumed to be most passionate about the situation. Definitely dissapointing.....Who'd have thought?

17. markdmc

markdmc New Member

I did'nt think steelhead in any form were a commercially viable run. Commercially available, yes, but only through Boldt decision allowing tribal netting. Am I wrong? Any more responses or references to help me understand the complexities of this situation, or any info to make me look less misinformed when I speak with my east coast friends would be greatly appreciated.

18. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    the native american, bank to bank, net fishery kills every fish entering an eco system. wild, hatchery zombies, no matter, dead. they will continue to do this so long as 'we the people' allow them to.

one of the best solutions is to shut off the commercial purchasing of these wild fishes. now you local to seattle folks, need to truck yur asses down to pike place market, find the manager of the establishement in question and have a discusison. if that does not produce a desired result, how about posting a rotating shift picket complete with signs. something akin to:

'wild fishes are endangered. why are they being sold right here?'

blabbing on this forum may make you feel better, but action is the only way of actually taking yet another small step to shutting this market down. i know i was able to have a quiet civilized conversation with a well know restaurateur right here in sequim and presto, no more wild steelhead on the menu, gone! one less source for the indians, thank you very much.

19. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Media:
    iagree Someone needs to go over there, get a name, number, e-mail or some type of contact information for those of us who can't just go over to voice our concerns. Although a picket line might be a little much right now, having the local guys go down and talk to the owner about it shouldn't be out of the question.
    -Ethan

20. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    OWNER? Ethan OWNERS with a big S. Wild Hoh River wild steelhead and salmon (and many other rivers) have been sold in at Pike Place Market since I was a kid. I'm 40. Other places I have seen large amounts of Hoh fish are the U District, Crossroads, Larry's Markets, Capital Hill (especially on Madison - where they used to claim to only sell wild fish from self sustaining runs), all over Queeen Anne, and on and on. The natives are not selective about who they sell to. If the fish originates from native sellers, no questions are asked and the broker or monger can sell away. Simple as that. I can't believe this is shocking some people. I guess my generation is just so tired, sick to our stomach, and fucking pissed off we can't even think about it anymore. Duffer