Wild Water Switch Rods

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Luke77, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
  2. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Heck of a price....but not a lot of info on their website is there? $159.00 for 11' 6/7 Switch rod, reel & line!

I just emailed them for more info - warranties (?), switch/spey lines...skagit, scandi, compacts, short belly, medium belly, long belly etc. etc.

3. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    It looks like it's $159 for just the rod and another $70 for reel, line, leader. It says they have a lifetime warranty and they give a line spec sheet, I just can't open it. Let me know what they say.

4. ten80

ten80 Active Member

I've had a good experience with the 11ft, 8/9 Wild Water Switch rod which I bought a little over a year ago. This is my go-to rod because it is so versatile. I run an airflo 40+ WF10F line for most fishing, 40+ WF10I for salt, and T300 sinking line for deep and fast rivers. I'm experimenting with a cut down 500gr compact skagit head (now ~475gr, 20ft long) which it seems to throw pretty well. It is well matched to fish in the 10-25lb range (chum/coho/steelhead/small kings) but is not so stiff as to be no fun with smaller fish (pinks, large cutthroat, baby ling cods...lol). Action is on the medium side so I prefer to roll or spey cast this rod because I prefer snappier action for overhead casting. I bet a WF9F 40+ line might overhead better at the expense of roll and spey casting distance. I have found this rod is particularly useful on small rivers where a full-size spey is awkward but back casting distance is compromised by bushes or a high bank. It's also dandy for nymphing because it can throw a thingamabobber and a couple flies with ease.

I recently broke two line guides and sent the rod in for warranty along with $35 for S&H. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a brand new rod two weeks later, rather than a repaired rod.

I'd give this rod an 8/10. The value and customer service are excellent. The cork and reel seat are a little on the cheap side (not as nice as on an Echo switch), but are definitely functional and didn't show much wear when I sent the rod in for warranty.