wildwater spey rods??

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by sandspanker, Jan 19, 2011.

1. sandspanker Member

Camas
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Looking for a back up rod for those long weekend trips down the river. I have a 8 wt echo solo now. and was thinking of a little lighter rod for a back up I have another reel so I will be able to change the line set up on it. I was thinking of getting a delta spey line. in a 7 wt. Is this a mid belly line? or a short belly line? Looking at the wildwater specs they seem to be a little on the light side of flex. They are stated as traditional flex. So they bend into the handle. Before I got the echo I called them and talked to them about a 550 gr skagit line. They recommend there 10 wt rod for that heavy of a head. So does any one have any thoughts on these rods?? Thanks
  2. Mudman New Member

Freeland, PA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I fish the Great Lakes region. I have fly fished for many years but just got into Switch/Spey.

I bought the Wildwater 8/9 Switch and use it for both steel & salmon. Again I am new to spey/switch casting but I do like this rod.

It is a little on the soft side but I can cast great with it and I have landed a few kings that went 25+, in high flows.

Wildwater is an American company based out of upstate NY and offer a lifetime no questions warranty. I would give the WW spey rod a shot.

Mitch
  3. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    The blank is fine and will cast with a good line matchup but the upper cork is much to short
  4. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +310 / 0
    Have not cast the full spey, but I did have the 8 wt switch. I liked it just fine, but found it was actually too much rod for what I wanted. I bumped it down to a 6 wt instead.

I didn't have a problem with the upper cork being too short on the switch, but like I said, I haven't handled the spey, so it may indeed be too short.
  5. namnle Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    I have the 14' 7wt spey rod. I love the rod. I have a 350 gr skait line on it. anything heavier and it wont turn over very well. I also have a SA short belly line 540 gr that i try to cast on this rod and the rod basically shuts down for me, but maybe I just suck at casting.