Will a 10' rod work for a switch?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Manimal, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Manimal Member

Vancouver
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Hi,
    I was wondering if a single hander 10' 7wt rod with fighting butt will work as a switch rod?
    I am going to go try this in a couple days but wondering if anyone does this...
  2. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    I have a 9'6" 7wt, and it performs single hand speycasts beautifully.

whether the butt on your rod will be big enough to use a bottom hand, and whether the action of the rod lends itself to speycasting technique for you, that will be a matter of experimentation-but it's sure worth a try.
    Do you have a 8 or 9 DTF line to put on it for a trial run? You can use a 7 for purely SH speycasts, using a single haul.
    play with it, it's totally fun.
    BTW, the shorter switchers are only 10'6", so as far as length you're OK. just don't expect to boom out 100' speycasts.

If nothing else, it would probably be worth it to learn single-hand underhanding, it will open a lot of water up for you that you couldn't fish before.
    Bob
  3. Derek Day Rockyday

Olympia
    Ratings: +146 / 0
    the biggest consideration will be how you line it. I have a 10' 7wt switch rod w/a 28' 320 grain head and it will throw 10' of t14 and a HEAVY fly a long way with a spey cast. You might have problems with your lower grip though.

If you can I would line it up 2 sizes at least, 3 sizes would probably be best (depending on the grain window of the rod). Give it a try.
  4. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    IMO a 10 footer is too short to be a two hander. You have to draw the line somewhere between practicle single hander and two hander application. 10.6'... ehhhhh? 11ft? yes. Though you can spey cast single handed rods, you have to have enough mass of rod to manipulate many spey casts effectively.
  5. Manimal Member

Vancouver
    i was thinking of using a DT7 silk line of 82' with my new Sage 7100-4 TCR. It is ultra fast action. What do you think?
  6. Will Atlas Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    typically short rods will spey cast better with shorter heads, an 82' silk line is definitely not ideal for performing spey casts with a 10' rod. A others have said a short shooting head probably 2-3 line weights over will get the job done.

Will
  7. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Totally agree with Will. A short heavy head will be much easier to use in the long run once the outfit is tuned.
    But don't let that keep you from experimenting with a DT if you have one handy... the biggest difference will be inability to shoot much line. In fact, if you keep letting out line on the DT till you get to the "sweet spot", mark it, and weigh the line up to that point, you can get a pretty accurate idea of what weight of shorthead line suits the rod best.

:)believe it of not, I have a 7.5 ft 4wt homebuilt rod that SH speycasts beautifully with either a DT or a WF5, which is a real advantage when fishing brushy streams. Like your TCR, it's a very fast stick but the extra weight slows the rod down enough that the casting stroke is effortless.

I think it's more a question of the technique used to fish the water you're on, and your own skill level/preferences, that will determine if it'll work the way you like it to.
    have fun and good luck!
    Bob
  8. Manimal Member

Vancouver
    Would this 82' dt 7wt line be better suited on a spey outfit? if so, any suggestions? Thanks all.
  9. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    hey, if you already have it in hand, spool it up and give 'er a go. The price is right! What I've done when fooling with DTs is cast, cast till I find the sweet spot for that line, and then mark it so the cast is reproducible.
    But you may find you want to go a little heavier or go to a SH Skagit if you get bit by the SH Spey bug. It is a helluva lot of fun.
    my .223, Bob
  10. SPEYBUM Member

CARNATION, WASHINGTON, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have been working with quite a number of new Speycasters who have elected to use Switch rods and Single hand rods in lieu of buying a standard Two Hand Fly Rod.
    Can we Speycast with a long single hand rod yes.
    Does it need a bottom grip? Only if you cannot double haul.
    The lower grip lets you reach the power water without using a double haul. I find that most of another or us at one time would rather not haul and having the lower grip lets us do just that.
    Can I use a fighting butt? Why sure you can.
    For all you need for a lower butt is enough grip to made a one finger OK gesture with the lower hand.
    Provided you do not break off the fighting butt.
    I have had a couple of lower grips just come off. There was no butt in the cork on one and have had the insert type fighting butts come loose with the force of under hand. So beware my friend.

As for line lengths here is what I do.
    For the Beginner 3 to 3 1/2 rod lengths at the Max grain window Skagit Lines or Scando lines.
    Intermediate 2 to 5 rod lengths mid grain Scando and mid belly lines.
    Knowledge Based Flyfisher from 2 to 6 rod lengths of line of any kind.
    For Master work I recommend a double taper Salmon line with very short front taper.
    So start with what you have and good luck
    :thumb: