Will these flies work for pinks/coho?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Thomas Williams, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +369 / 16
    I've never fished the sound and tomoro will be my first time. All I know is pink is good. So just kept it simple with some clousers. Added flash and angel hair, so what do you think will they work tomoro or should I try another pattern. Any suggestions? Photos of yours? ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376188208.358969.jpg
    Irafly and Tony Abaloney like this.
  2. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,018 / 1
    Yes, and also sculpin and kings and bones and cuda and trout and bass and jacks and runners and bonita and... well you get the idea.
    Tony Abaloney likes this.
  3. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,101 / 4
    Yup, those will do nicely. May want to experiment with some tied with stinger hooks for those nippy coho.
  4. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +753 / 0
    my advice....

more lead-eyes ... less bead chain eyes (ignore if i am seeing bead chains in the photo and you're using different eyes) ... and longer flash (1/2-1" past material)

otherwise they look great and will catch fish.
  5. hikepat Patrick

Des Moines, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    What wrong with bead chain eyes I uses for coho and pinks for years and they work great. Also for Pinks I might shorten the flies up to be length of shrimp but otherwise flies will work great.
  6. Bob Young Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    The flies are suitable. Whether they 'work' or not is yet to be seen.
  7. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +699 / 2
    Bead chains work. But, when a person who has made a living at this game gives tying advice..... I'm going to listen.

Barbells and longer flash it is!
  8. James Harrington Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    I reckon there's a number of folks on here that would gladly field test those for you.
  9. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +753 / 0
    imo, lead eyes give the fly better action. i use bead chains when i am fishing shallower water or need to keep the fly nearer to the surface with a slower retrieve.

i also find that lead eyes act as a better keel than bead chains and the fly rides exactly how i want it to.

both work, but if i'm gonna use a weighted fly... i might as well get as much action as possible from them... especially with a flashtail where the action at the front of the fly imparts action to the trailing flash.
  10. Fishee Member

seattle
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Everything including myself would devour these tasty flies except for PINK's and COHO's. Just Kiddin, these will perform extremely well. Good Luck out there.

I like using bead eye chains for small clouser patterns and cast great on floating, clear intermediate or full sink line.
  11. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +369 / 16
    They are lead eyes. I chucked em hard today but no tugs. The next set will have trailer hooks. They had great action in the water but I would agree more flash is in order.
  12. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    My favorite weight for clousers eyes are 5/32. I like the to use Real Eyes when fishing off the beaches. They don't break in half like the lead eyes will if you ding your fly on your back cast. They also come in a variety of colors.
    Out of a boat the lead eyes work great.

On other thing that will help with the durability of your beach clousers if tying with bucktail. Tie the bucktail in behind the eyes rather then over them. You won't have to deal with the bucktail over the eyes splitting.

SF
  13. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    I am fishing a RIO outbound short intermediate. and with lead eyes at the north area beaches, I get snagged up too much. have gone to bead chain on some flies to keep them up off bottom. use the lead eyed flies on good tidal/current flow. also have trouble casting the flies with heavy heads (cone head etc).
  14. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,101 / 4
    With all the fishing out of a boat I've been doing I agree with Chris. But for the beach I can definitely see the need for various eyes with various weights
  15. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Are these trick questions? You know the answers to these!
  16. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Or, epoxy that portion of bucktail that goes over the top of the eyes. Makes the fly very durable. :) But, more work...
  17. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +387 / 0
    How do these look? I really tried to keep them sparse. Pink over gray, pink over chartreuse, pink over white. All bucktail with krystal flash except the chartreuse because I didn't have that color of bucktail so I used streamer hair instead.
    uploadfromtaptalk1376287188472.jpg

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G
    Gregg Lundgren likes this.
  18. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +262 / 2
    They are fine Gary, I tie most of mine with streamer hair and the fish dont seem to mind! You can try tying them with a stinger hook to help you with hooking up but I mostly fish them just like that (cause I am lazy). Sometimes I add 1 strand of flashabou down each side for a lateral line to.
  19. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    Those look good Gary.