Willy Gunn Spey

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by speyman, Feb 14, 2003.

1. speyman

speyman Member

Home Page:
    Aaron had been dying for a Willy Gunn Spey and since it is one of my favorite patterns I have been working on it and I think I have it, finally.

Hook - AJ Spey, Black
    Thread - Gossamer Silk, Black
    Tag - flat gold tinsel
    Spey Hackle - Steelhead Anglers, natural black
    Ribs - oval gold tinsel, Glasso Orange silk, Yellow silk (silk tied in at both end and twisted into a rope. Rib ends up being gold, orange, yellow with the Spey hackle behind the gold)
    Underwing - back to back golden tippets, one side stripped
    Collar - natural Guinea
    Wing - Bronze Mallard
    Topping - Golden Pheasant Crest

Supplies and kits are available at www.steelheadanglers.com if needed!

The trick, I think, with this fly is to get the effect of yellow and orange over black without letting the yellow run away with the fly. You can even omit the topping if you think it is too much. This fly will be the topic of a future Spey Roundtable.

Speyman

2. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    Speyman,

I was wondering if you could take a picture of this fly showing the top view? I am trying to tie spey flies and am having a hell of a time with the goose biot wings. I have a few tying manuals, however, they never show the top view...so I have no idea if I am tying the wings in correctly.

Thanks,

Andrew

3. speyneznbhm

speyneznbhm been around

just a couple questions? silk tied in a both ends, like a dubbing loop? then twisted for multi-colored rope. 2 silk rope then wound forward over bare black hook or are you using the thread as the base of the body

4. speyman

speyman Member

Home Page:
    Tie in the Spey hackle, the gold tinsel, The orange rope, and the yellow rope. Remember the order they will be wound and place them on the hook so they can start neatly. Wrap the hook with the black silk nice and neat and tie it off in front. Wind the tinsel forward in 4-5 turns. Wrap the orange silk rope next to the oval gold tinsel. Wrap the yellow silk rope next to the orange silk rope. Wrap the Spey hackle forward against the back side of the oval gold tinsel.

It is a lot of work but it looks great when you are finished.

You must use silk since you are wrapping a color over black, anything else will lose it's color in the water.
    If the orange and yellow fade a bit when wet it is all OK since the orange and yellow are meant to bee subtle.

Speyman

5. Hywel

Hywel New Member

Beautiful tie.

I don't think I'd omit the GP topping...in fact, I'd probably add another Red-dyed crest to keep within the 'theme' of the original pattern and Rx. Just a thought.

Hywel

6. TerryD

TerryD New Member

Awesome pattern, any additions/improvements as a result of last nights roundtable? Sorry I missed it.

TerryD:thumb