Wind Bitch

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Donato, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Donato

Donato Member

Why does the wind have to blow so hard in E. WA on my 3day flex weekend? This is the second flex weekend in a row this has happened. It Sucks, Sucks, SUCKS. And now I may have to do yard work instead.:(

2. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

You could use powerbait and a slip sinker at Burke.:p

Pat Lat likes this.
  3. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I agree that the wind also sucks. It blows just a tad bit too hard most of the time, usually from the wrong direction, and is usually worse than was forecast on your days off. (It is also known to suddenly switch direction or simply vanish if you raise a sail to aid in your journey back to the launch).
    So I will hit the interwebz and check the "spot forecasts" for various locations within a days range of here. I'll see if I can't find some place I like or want to explore that has more favorable winds in the forecast.

Maybe you can find some water near you that is forecast to be less windy...and you'll just have to gamble and alter your plans.

Wind looks like hell here in my area tomorrow, but I think I found a beach up in an area that might be a "wind shadow" tomorrow. Also maybe it will be in the "rain shadow." I checked the tides. Not perfect, but at least mellow and not too badly timed. So, I may have found a spot where I can escape this wind, and search for some Searun Cutts!

Whatever you do, just don't cave in to doing the yard work!:eek:

4. zen leecher aka bill w

Donato was in my boat one day at Beda about 11 years ago and we were blown to the far shore. Had to drag the boat thru the sagebrush to a road about 1/3 mile from the lake and then pull the boat back to the truck with the teeny little boat dolly I had.

That was a nasty wind.

5. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

You folks on the dry and sunny side should consider taking up kite boarding.;) Only for those days when its too windy to cast.

6. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Seems like if I go for three days, always get blown off one of those days. We had a microburst on DF one year. That wind went from 5-50 in the seconds. A lot of scrambling going on. Fortunately, nobody got dumped.

MB

7. Donato

Donato Member

Plan to fish big twin next weekend with my girlfriend. She will be pissed if its windy both days. I tried to get her to change plans and fish the seeps Fri-Sun, as she has Fri off, but she's thick headed and won't go there. She like the brew pubs uo that way a little to much. I guess that beats sitting in a chair wishing the wind would stop.
    And Bill, I do remember that ill fated day I helped you. You owe me some more Chrono's and soft hackles for that effort. That really sucked.

8. zen leecher aka bill w

winds may be acceptable over here on Sunday and Monday.

9. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

We've had wind for the last two weekends, stopped today so I went fishing for an hour at the local reservoir....fish were caught. Workin tomorrow, fishin on Saturday!

10. Porter

Porter Active Member

Wind....damien (from omen!) ..... time to throw on a leech...submerge... and troll. Fight the wind rowing / paddling/ etc....dont fight the line/wind fight...it is not the good fight to win.

11. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Adapt, adapt, adapt.... there's always a lee side somewhere. Some of my most memorable days were when I almost bagged it because of wind. Usually when I stumbled into the golden situation when the wind is blowing into the cove, pushing all available food sources right into the cove also. The amount of fish that show for those buffet lines can make those chuck and duck days oh so sweet. There's only one or two days a year that the wind gets too violent for me, and it had to hit at least 50

Krusty, Mark Kraniger and dflett68 like this.
  12. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

I actully hunkered down in the shallow end of a lake with a strong wind blowing at my back. Water was cloudy but the browns were feeding like crazy on all the stirred up bugs, they would hit just about anything. Turned into a stellar day.

So I would agree with Trip, to a point, adapt.

MB

Lugan likes this.
  13. Rod Sand

Rod Sand Member

Wind or Rain? I'm going with the wind.Heading east today

14. John Read

John Read New Member

I remember a day many years ago on Lenore in a float tube with waves breaking over our backs.
    That being said, I was on Amber yesterday with 10 to 20 mph winds and 15 fish.

15. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

Phrasing!

triploidjunkie and Gary Knowels like this.
  16. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

I feel your pain. Gonna give it a go tomorrow morning, regardless. I need a fishing fix.

17. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Wind is supposed to be better tomorrow....

Wayne

18. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Man up or stay home.:cool:

19. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

One of the advantages of small mountain lakes...there's always a lee side, and not enough wind run length for most blows. I am often able to sit on the calm side of the windline, and cast out into the chop....and when I get a wind forecast, or see it developing on the way fishing, I will alter plans based on a particular lake's size, orientation to wind direction, and surrounding geography. And...a kayak doesn't present much of a windsail....

20. zen leecher aka bill w

We went to Wenatchee today for a Costco trip. Definitely not as windy up there and the wind in Moses Lake is less than what was forecast.