Wind River Range, WY

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Sir Homey, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Sir Homey Member

Rainytown, WA
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    Did a nice mid-August run at the Winds. Entered through the Burnt Lake TH and spent 8 night in the wilds. Came out and did 2 days of exploring the upper and lower Green as well. All around a kick ass adventure.

Pics here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/100977874@N04/

Cheers.
  2. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +112 / 0
  3. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +221 / 1
    Quite scenic!
    Looks like a fine trip.
  4. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +722 / 1
    Man does that look like a great time and one to add to the bucket list. Looks like you were able to car camp part of the trip? Thanks for sharing!
  5. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +786 / 0
    Gawd, i love the winds! Thanks for sharing...

D
  6. Jslo Active Member

Ratings: +80 / 0
    Great shots! I'd love to go sometime. Looks sweet.
  7. Jonnytutu Member

BC/Canada, Kootenays
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    wow. that is fantastic looking country and fish. good work.....

Fin
  8. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +342 / 0
    Last time I backpacked there was 1972 - reminds me that I really should go back!
  9. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Jeez, Greg. The first time I backpacked in the Winds was 1975, and I thought I had some old timer cred! Over the next 8 years, I averaged 20 or more nights a year in there, however. My last trip was 2006, and I'm jonesin' to get back.
    Dick
    Greg Armstrong likes this.
  10. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +342 / 0
    Dick,
    My best bud' and I hitchhiked throughout the western states that summer and backpacked into the most remote places we could find to fish along the way. I caught my first Yellowstone Cutthroat ever in a small Wind River Range creek that flowed between some lakes and found some big Brookies from the lakes too, as I recall. Some of the best times I ever had that summer, until we had to wind our way home to start college that fall.
    We always talked about going back there. Families, careers etc. "happened", but we had planned to go do the Winds again after retirement. He died from cancer before that could happen. But what great memories I have of that summer!
    It was great seeing these photos of the Winds. I have some from that trip 40+ years ago that I might try and find to post here sometime.
    Richard Olmstead likes this.
  11. manOfaith New Member

macomb, MI
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Great pictures, thanks for sharing! Took me back to my trip out there a couple years ago. Nothing quite like the Wind River Range.
  12. Kelly Michelsen Active Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Wow beautiful, Thanks for sharing!
    Kelly Michelsen
  13. Josh Johns New Member

Seattle WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Great pictures, thank you for the tour.

Josh
  14. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Greg -
    It was climbing that first drew me to Wyoming. I spent the summer of '73 in the Tetons and moved there a couple years later, when I quit college (and the pressure of the draft let up). That's when I discovered the Winds. As a climbing venue in a wilderness setting they are unparalleled. I only fished then occasionally in the evening for food with someone else's gear. It was much later that I took up fly fishing and have returned several times since to fish. I then realized that it is equally unparalleled for fishing in a wilderness setting!
    Dick
  15. David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Snoqualmie, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    AMAZING pictures! I am jelly!
  16. ImperialStoutRunsThruMe Member

Central Oregon / Maupin, OR
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Amazing place. I did an 11-day backpacking and flyfishing trip there in 1985 with some friends. We went in from a TH on the east side out of Lander. The hike in went thru a pass that was 11,400 altitude. Stayed mostly in the area around Grave Lake and Mt. Hooker. I caught brookies, lakers, cutts, rainbows, and goldens. I still dream about that trip.