Wind River Wild Steelhead Under Attack

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Chris Bellows, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    Anglers ask for hatchery steelhead plants to resume in Wind River

i guess it doesn't matter how successful the rebuilding of the wild steelhead run on the wind has been since stopping hatchery plants.

i cannot believe a state biologist is quoted as saying this line of crap
    "It bothers me to not have the ability to have families be able to fish,''

i also love the fact that extra spawners are wasteful and should be harvested. while the habitat right now may not produce extra smolts with more spawners, it would seem the addition of nutrients from the spawners that die and the genetic diversity of having lots of spawners would be a good thing.

2. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    that goes back to the failed concept that you only need a limited number of spawners, all the rest are excess and should be harvested. that approach has come to be known as 'maximum sustained yield' only there is nothing sustaining about maximizing the kill quotas.

google: origin of maximum sustained yield

and start reading.....get informed

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Plenty of fishing opportunity, and for wild steelhead no less. WDFW should be promoting the notion that this is as good as it gets in the 21st century. Having all the fishing opportunity and all the harvest we want is no longer a viable option. Just have the balls to say so.

Sg

4. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    Wow...

That's complete bullshit. John didn't have any issues with shutting down my favorite fishery and opening it up to all the poachers. And after briefly discussing it with him, it became obvious that he doesn't know shit about the region he's managing. His motives have always been based in cronyism and politics.

Dear John, go fuck yourself. And please stop calling yourself a biologist.

5. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I like your style!

6. coastal cutthroat

coastal cutthroat Member

I don't understand, are they arresting fisherpeople if two or more are related? What families, or anyone else can't do is keep wild fish -- very different.
    Why doesn't the state simply dig a hole somewhere, line it with concrete, dump fish in by the truckload, and let anyone who buys a license stop by and slaughter fish -- we could put John in charge of the operation. Wait, we already have it half set up -- just pick a hatchery, and use one of the ponds.

7. Danny

Danny Member

Media:
    I have been to some of the meetings and have witnessed the backlash that John receives, especially when the Wind River is mentioned. It is truly disheartening. The majority of the attendees don't care about wild fish. They want their fish and don't care how they got there. I heard one comment that they "ruined the Wind River" in reference to ending the hatchery plants. It boggles the mind.

I urge anyone who cares about wild steelhead to let John know that you support further restoration of the Wind River, and expansion of this policy, rather than a return to the status-quo that led us here.

The Wind was a great start -- we removed the hatchery fish and managed the river for wild steelhead to see how it responded. Not unexpectedly, the river recovered. One might think the next logical step would be to apply this to other rivers -- what a great precedent. All will be lost if we let it go right back to a put-and-take.

8. Salvelinus

Salvelinus Member

Media:
    "It bothers me to not have the ability to have families be able to fish,''

Truly eloquent. What a moron.

9. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

Media:
    Apparently I'm not fishing if I don't kill something, this guy needs to go!

10. Danny

Danny Member

Media:
    Unless I don't understand the regs (possible), most of the river, and its tributaries, are closed for all but a few weeks out of the year.

Although I disagree that hatchery fish are the answer, that is probably what he's referring to. A lot of the people arguing probably grew up fishing the area and wish their kids could do the same. I can relate to that part.

11. Paul_

Paul_ Active Member

Media:
    Did any of you guys even go to the meeting?

12. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    i get that part, but the thrust of the article was about planting more hatchery fish considering the evidence against doing so.

there was mention of opening the river earlier, and i would certainly be in favor of that although i think the department should open it with strict rules to help keep it from becoming a commercial zoo (ie, no bait, no barbs, no guides)

13. PETI

PETI Member

QUOTE=Paul_;651039]Did any of you guys even go to the meeting?[/QUOTE]

Good question. Have any of the opinions been generated by an actual exposure to the material, or are you relying on a reporters interpretation?

14. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    If only there were someplace close to the Wind completely filled with hatchery fish. Oh wait, there is...

15. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    Good question. Have any of the opinions been generated by an actual exposure to the material, or are you relying on a reporters interpretation?[/QUOTE]

It's straightforward reporting. He's not offering up much in the way of "interpretation" or even opinion for that matter.

I didn't go to the meeting. I hold a personal grudge against John--he destroyed what was once the most beautiful thing in my sad life. The blatant stupidity he displayed in that single event leaves me at the emotional tipping point whenever I hear his name. But I'll set that aside for now and stick to the facts. The Wind has one of the only successful self-sustaining wild stocks on any of the columbia tribs. Some of you guys are saying we should discount ALL science and start restocking hatchery fish because the locals are too fucking lazy to drive an extra few minutes and fish something else?

16. Danny

Danny Member

Media:
    I didn't go to the meeting, but I've been to others. In fact, I'm a bit angry because John mentioned he wanted to hold this meeting and I asked repeatedly if he would let me know when he set a date because I REALLY wanted to be there and express my opinions. I believe that I even asked mere days before it happened. Then, I find out it happened via WFF? Thanks, John!

Without having been there, I can only guess how the conversation went and I'm sure that most of the interpretations offered here are pretty close.

I don't know if I'd consider myself a Wind River local, but I grew up about 20 minutes east of Carson and I still live here. I'd like to be able to fish it if it were possible in a sustainable manner, for wild steelhead and trout. I'd also like to continue to do the same on the White Salmon after Condit Dam comes out. I don't consider myself lazy, but part of why I choose to live here is the memories I have of these rivers and the hope of reliving those experiences with my own kids. The people arguing for hatcheries are misguided, but don't blame them entirely -- who has been feeding them this hatchery kool-aid anyway??