Windy Topwater Day

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by miyawaki, May 23, 2012.

1. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +838 / 1
    Did a mid-morning trip yesterday to a PS beach halfway through the big ebb. The first beach I fished was a dud. The second had two flyfishers out at the point so I walked south, about a hundred or so yards away, down to a cove that I rarely fish and worked my way back. The wind was howling and the rain was horizontal and the waves were counter to the flow. I cast, stripped and cast my way back. Noting that the dropping tide revealed clear blue water beyond the brown water that was stirred up by the wind, I went back for a second pass. Halfway through, I got a good boil at the rod tip. Then another one a few steps and casts away. The third cutt was the charm. This cutt slashed from the side, nailed my popper and was pissed! She put on an acrobatic aerial show and kept ripping line each time I stripped her in. Finally she took enough line to get herself on the reel. Amazingly, I don't think this fish was over 16 inches. I thanked her for the show and headed for the car to dry out.

Leland.
    Bob Triggs and Alex MacDonald like this.
  2. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ratings: +186 / 0
    Nice work Leland! It always feels good to catch fish in adverse conditions that make for an added challenge.
  3. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +879 / 0
    Sounds like a great day, Leland! I'll be able to get out there in a few more months, looks like!
  4. Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +35 / 0
    Nice report. Finding the clean water seam was a good deal, and I love catching a hot cutt.