Wine Killer

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Nick Clayton, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Anyone ever tie/fish John Kent's Wine Killer pattern? I came across it the other night while looking at some patterns online, and I really like the look of it. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the zonker strips in that wine color. Anyone ever tie it? If so, where did you get your rabbit? Thinking if nothing else I'll try with red pine squirrel.

Looks like it would be gobbled up by the fish in alot of our lakes.

2. What, I have to actually Google this myself... Argh :)

I will be back in a bit

No luck. Can you post a link Nick?

3. looks nice. Thanks for the link. I like zonkers and mini leeches. This one has a little of both and I bet it'll fish well in the lakes and at RF.

4. Pine squirrel zonker strips are fish magnets. A Maroon rabbit strip leech fooled my all time best LM bass ( 8-pounds) SO I'd say that fly is a winner.

Ive been tying these Bead belly leeches from micro to macro.

Attached Files:

chewydog, McNasty and Patrick Gould like this.
  5. I like the pattern, but can't figure it out. Are the beads on the hook shank and the fur tied so it's in the hook gap?

6. Nope. Beads are on strong mono folded over and tied down. Turkey marabou feather bound to hooks shank with wire. Fur strip works just as well. I do tie these hook up, or more precisely... beads on top makes it ride hook up.

7. try rustic brown. or take a rustic brown and put in red koolaid and microwave it for 90sec. or till you like it or sokes up the color. i use koolaid to make some of my lighter colors but it might at that wine color to the strip.