Winston D.B.Special rod question

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by JeffO, Feb 3, 2007.

1. I have an opportunity to buy a Winston D.B. Special 15' 7/8.
    I would use it primarily as a winter rod for Sauk and Skagit fishing.
    Does anyone have any experience with this rod, positive or negative?
    What lines might work well with heads.

Thanks
    JeffO

2. I have the Derek Brown Favorite 15ft 7/8 and find it is an excellent rod for use with long taper lines like the SA XLT. It is designed to cast in the traditional style with full belly lines which it does beautifully. If you need, or want, to cast into tomorrow the DBF rods all can do it with ease. I have no experience with using heads on it but would not choose a DBF as my first choice winter short head, heavy tip, anchor sized fly rod.

Regards,

3. I loved my DB. It went away due to gear overload. Great rod. Wouldn't be my first choice for skagit. It would do it, but not as well as a more specialized rod. If you are paying going rate for it, look for something else. $400 plus is alot to pay for a rod you won't be letting shine in its own specialty area, which is long belly. It'll handle a midspey, but really, it wants a pretty long line. Did I mention awesome, though heavy rod?

4. JeffO,

I have fished with the DBF #7/8 for the past 5 years on the Deschutes. It is a summmer/fall rod. When the wind is not blowing, it throws the XLT #7/8; when there is a breeze on the water, I switch over to the SA XLT #8/9 and the line throws forever. Also in my arsenal is the DBF #8/9 used with a windcutter & upgrade to throw tips; DBF #9/10 for tips and T-14; DBF #10/11 for T-14 only. Yes, they are a bit heavy but they are MONSTERS......

Several years ago, I had the good fortune to take a one day seminar with Derek Brown himself. It was sponsored by one of the local shops. Anyway, he did not think that the rod would be made for too much longer, since it was labor intensive. Sections 2 and 4 and double-wall thickness of graphite which is where all the energy is generated.

Anyway, I lonve them and will gladly carry the 4 or 5 extra ounces all day long.

Good Luck.

5. Thanks for the replies to my post.
    I do have some luck in that the guy who wants to sell it is a buddy.
    I will be able to get out and give it a cast or two.

Especially nice to hear the comments on the line selections.

JeffO

6. bucksnort,

Good to see another person that was wise enough to have the whole collection of DBF rods and the opportunity to take lessons from Derek. He surely can cast a beautiful line.

Regards,

7. halcyon,
    Just this morning I picked up the DBF, #10/11 and can't wait to try it out. A couple of years ago, I sold the #9/10 on eBay. I was sorry I did. So, to remedy that, I kept watching and another #9/10 appeared. They're both going with me to B.C. this summer.

8. Bucksnort,
    The DBF 10/11 is a monster rod that will cast a complete XLT line with ease. However, to make it an all day fishing rod you will want to have a reel weighing in at around 14oz. so it does not feel tip heavy. If you get the heavy reel on that rod you will not believe how easy to cast and fish it truely is.

Regards,

9. halcyon,
    I agree. Think about the weight issue. When we are able to carry a shotgun all day long that weighs under 5-pounds, we consider it a feather. A 2-pound 15-footer is not a problem, not for me anyway. With a spey rod on a big river, you're actually doing less casting. Last year in B.C. there were a couple of guys across the river from me with a one-handed rod. I watched them and could not believe that I worked that hard at fishing!!!