Winston Ibis 14' 8/9 Spey

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Dan, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Dan Member

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Anyone have any experience with this rod? I have one on hold. Originally $495 new; now $200 less. This will be my first spey rod. I currently fish a 9 1/2 foot Orvis two-handed rod. I'm thinking of this as a Skagit rod. I'll be lucky if I get to fish it twice a year. Usually replies to there kinds of threads say: "try before you buy", but the rod is in Washington and I'm in Colorado. Not many spey claves here. So what do you experienced spey rod casters say? Good beginners rod? I fish a Winston LT trout rod, and I like the feel of a moderately fast rod. Thanks for any input. It's on hold for 48 hours.
  2. Jason Decker Active Member

Issaquah, WA
    where are you getting that deal?
  3. yakcanyon Banned or Parked

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    way too soft in the tip.
  4. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +511 / 0
    Did you mean 9'6" one handed rod as opposed to two handed ? I have heard both plus and negative on the rod...yes soft tip.....but some like that. Cosmetics are more pleasing than many rods in same price range......thing to think about...Ibis is no more (deceased...short life).....what is the policy (warantee) if it should poop on you one day soon....what will Winston do? I don't know if their new low end rod ..the Ass-sent has spey rods?

Find out.
  5. Dan Member

Porter,

The Orvis is not a spey rod. It has a 3" butt extension that makes 2 handed casting possible. I'm able to do a modified spey cast with it very easily.
  6. Dan Member

Yakcanyon,

What sort of problems does a soft tip introduce in spey casting?
  7. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    Dan, you ask what the problem is with a too-soft tip in a spey rod? As someone who's owned 13 spey rods (obsession? Who; me?), I'd say that a soft tip makes it difficult to lift and place a sinking tip, which, to be realistic, is what we spey fishers, at least in the Pacific NW, are fishing most of the time. A soft tip may be ok with a floating line and smaller flies, but that would make it, at best, a specialty rod. In addition, I never liked the feel of too-soft tips in a single-hand rod. Even a fast action rod shouldn't feel like it's being overwhelmed. In addition, spey casts are change-of-direction casts, where the tip is subjected to torque as well as stress along a single vector. A spey rod tip should be strong enough to carry the flex down into the mid-section, even if it's a fast action rod, and "into the cork" if it's a slow action. Spey rods in general are closer to full-flex action than the average single-hand rod. A very slow action, as with a slow single-hander, can make it difficult to form a narrow loop.
  8. Dan Member

Mac,

Very helpful. Thanks.
  9. halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Vancouver, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Dan,

I have cast that rod on the river a number of times with sink tips. My friend owns the rod and fishes it in WA and OR with tips. It is a fine rod, casts very well, and handles tips just fine.

However, if you don't want it let me know where it is and I will purchase it.

Regards,
  10. Dan Member

Halcyon,

Sent you a pm.
  11. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +102 / 0
    Dan,

I've cast that rod a number of times and found it to be moderately stiff with a medium recovery. It is very capable of casting sink tip matched to the spey line you chose. As a newcomer to spey, I'd recommend one of the short belly spey lines (RIO Windcutter, SA Short Spey, Airflow Delta) with interchangeable tips. The RIO Windcutter in 8/9/10, the SA Short Spey in 8/9 or the Delta Spey in 8/9 all feel very good on the 14' 8/9 Ibis. This rod is capable of casting 100' if you have the technique to do so. Overall, it is a very nice rod with performance that belies its price.

Yak,

I also have the same questions Inland has, especially since I didn't find the tip to be too soft when I've cast it. Quite the contrary, I found it to be a well ballanced spey casting rod for floating or sinking tips. I'd not use it with a line larger than the 8/9 short or mid-belly lines and actually prefer it with one of the 7/8 mid-bellies. But then again, I've been spey casting 13 years and like the fast recovering, stiff rods like the T&T's.