Winston Vapor blanks

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Steve Knapp, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Hey guys new to the forum, building rods for a little while, and looking for a little advice.

Building a new 9' 6/7 wt beach rod for cutties and rezzies in Puget Sound. I found Winston Vapor blanks for $100 on line and wondering if anybody has any opinion on them, good or bad. Main concern is if they are fast enough to fight against the wind on the beaches.

Second option would probably be a Rainshadow RX8. Thanks in advance.

-Steve

2. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

Madison River Fishing Company had vapors for $175 a short time ago. I picked up a 4 wt. Before I bought a BIIX in a 10' 7 wt. I tried a Vapor and was impressed with how much line it easily handled, but I was not casting on the beach into a wind. But then for under $200 you can't expect the performance of an MX or Z-Axis.

3. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Right on, thanks for the advice. Its tough to compare blanks in the $100-200 range against $300-400... maybe I should just bite the bullet and go big, brutal decisions.

4. bombtek79

bombtek79 Member

Don't know if you went with Vapor or not but I built a 6wt 9' Vapor and I use it exclusivley for cutts and rezzies. My go to rod without a doubt. Handles line great and casts very well into the wind. Get it for sure and you won't be sad one bit.

5. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

I ended up going with an Orvis Hydros blank, and so far glad I did, sweet blank. Never got a chance to handle a Vapor, but I may still pick up a Vapor blank since the ones still around are pretty cheap. Thanks for the heads up though.

6. Chloe's DAD

Chloe's DAD New Member

Rod Building forum might help salty you can never go wrong with a rod from Twin Bridges as Blake say's (There Magic!)