Winter beach preparation

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by jonbackman, Oct 8, 2006.

1. jonbackman Member

Mt. Vernon
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    This spring was my inaugural venture into chasing fish from the beach with a fly. Obviously, my main targets have been cutts and non-existent silvers. A lot of the reading I've done suggests that SRC's can be caught with some degree of success year-round from the beach. Anyone had much luck with that themself? Beyond that, I'm just curious what to expect as far as late fall/winter is concerned. Any changes you guys typically make in your gear, presentation or approach? My dad always talks about winter blackmouths, but we used to take the boat out for them. I'm beachbound, and I plan to continue, but I'm not sure what my options will be for the colder months. Any suggestions from past experience?
  2. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +836 / 1
    The southsound beaches will have searun cutthroat and resident silvers throughout the winter. I continue to use my 6wt rod, floating line, long leader and popper 99% of the time. Sometimes I fish an intermediate sinkline, short leader and my Crazy Plankton pattern for the residents.

Leland.
  3. Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    Jon, I fished the south sound this Saturday and caught numerous Sea Run Cutthroats between 16" and 19". These were large, bright and aggressive fish. Several hit so hard my fishing buddy and I thought that they were Silvers. The best news was the number of Resident Coho that we caught that are already in the 14" to 16" range. If you use the rule that they grow an inch a month while feeding in the nutrient rich south sound, do the math and start looking forward to fishing in January, February and March next year. We fished one spot where for 45 minutes it was a fish on almost every cast until the tide slowed.
  4. jonbackman Member

Mt. Vernon
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    Thanks guys.
    I live in West Seattle, but I work in Tacoma, which I believe is considered the "south sound". Is there any kind of a fuzzy dividing line for central/south sound fishing opportunities? I am going to try to take advantage of working in Tacoma to do some fishing down in that area, but I fear my West Seattle beaches may not be too promising during the colder part of the year. Either way, I'll keep fishing. I'm still only the lower part of the learning curve, but this forum and it's members sure have been helpful in getting me motivated and educated.
  5. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +836 / 1
    Anywhere south of Seattle is what I usually consider south sound. Crossing the Narrows bridge is also south for me. You can get geographically technical with north, central and south but this is fishing not geography.

Hope this helps,
    Leland.