Winter Lake 3

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Irafly, Nov 27, 2013.

1. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +335 / 0
    Jeff - From what I've read, the meat whistle was originally designed to fish like a leadhead jig for bass. I've tied up a few on #2 90-degree bend jig hooks and they are a pain to cast, even with an 8wt rod. Last week I found this video that adapts the pattern for trout fishing. I think I'll give these a try sometime:

2. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +383 / 0
    TP
    Yes!, that is the video I used to tie the meat whistle pattern. This was research for a pattern for our winter lake swap.

I should have taken the time, like you, to look up John's original pattern so I would know the changes put in for trout.

My attempt was on a size 10 jig hook and the gap between the small cone head and the hook point was not what I wanted. Next Allen order I will get some larger jig hooks to try. I also may tie this pattern with a slotted bead.?

Have to give this some thought.
  3. Travis Bille Active Member

McKinleyville, CA
    Ratings: +365 / 0

Just something I kinda tied up while tinkering around. It worked well Sunday on the Rogue River. It really comes alive in the water.
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  4. KevinLS Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Dammit it's full. I guess that's what you get when you turn off the internet for your holiday... :confused:
  5. Travis Bille Active Member

McKinleyville, CA
    Ratings: +365 / 0
    Well hot damn, I think I'm all finished tying! 22 flies, right?
  6. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,087 / 1
    Yep, nice job! I'll send my address in the PM.
  7. Rod Wittner Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +69 / 1
    I'm done!
    22 Bloody Black Leeches. Sizes 8 and 10.
  8. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +335 / 0
    Finished mine just now. I was going to power through on a full-on Rickards bender but I'd forgotten that tying a decent seal bugger is quite the art project. So after 11 of those, I decided to pay tribute to another great leech-chucker, Tim Lockhart, who professes great affection for all things simiseal.

I figured that Ira and Nick will provide good options for the leech-danglers among us . . .ya know, if you can get past the bobber . . .;)
    IMG_3286.JPG
  9. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +383 / 0
    I tied 2 of Ira's Bloodworm pattern with one substitution, liquid lace in place of wire. I like the look of wire but my hope is this will last many many fish.

I filled a liquid lace with mineral oil for the Swap Master, Ira. Ira, only use water based head cement with the liquid lace. It melts. I use wood floor glue. If you need some, I have enough to supply the entire forum with head cement!

I will put them on your porch.

IMG_20131215_213944_664.jpg
    Ron McNeal, troutpocket and Irafly like this.