Winter lake fishing

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Nol, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Nol Needs to fish more..

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I was thinking of doing a little lake fishing this winter but don't have much experience. Does anyone have any advice in terms of techniques and finding fish this time of year? I was planning to go to places such as Pass lake or Cady lake.
  2. dominic7471 Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    use a boat and sinking line and troll wooley buggers... unless theres a chironomid hatch coming off and see if the trout are keying in....
  3. Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Poulsbo, Washington
    Slim chance you will catch anything without good sinking line. White wooly buggers are one of the go to winter lake flies for west side lakes. fish deep deep deep on the shoals right where the lake drops off to deeper water. make sure to do a slow retrieve. other than that i agree with dominic, look for hatches or anything else the trout are keying in.
  4. dominic7471 Member

i don't like to fish lakes in winter personally...
  5. uncledave corkie stare blind

Anacortes,Wa.
    A properly presented bloodworm pattern can keep your rod hot many times on cold, windy winter days. See you on Pass!
  6. hikepat Patrick

Des Moines, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Do not be afaid to check the shallows out on the rare warmer days in the middle of winter. I have often seen and have caught some large fish in water as shallow as 1-3 foot of water along the lake edges on many of our year round lakes in Dec, Jan and Feb.
    If cold and cloudy or in the rain then deep is the only way to go.
  7. sharpshooter223 Member

richland/pullman, wa
    whats the definition of cold?
  8. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    [IMG]

:clown:
  9. sharpshooter223 Member

richland/pullman, wa
    what about temp wise?
  10. barbless Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    It depends on what temp your antifreeze is rated for - and how much of it you drink. I have frozen my ass off when ambient temp is around 45 degrees, and been comfortable when it's below freezing. I always feel warmer when the fish are cooperating.
  11. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    I'm about ready to do some winter lake fishing as I break in my new 4-stroke. I was hoping for some balmier weather, but it looks like I'm gonna freeze my okole off. I don't tank up on anti-freeze when i'm boating, because its warmth only works when its going down the hatch, anyway. Alcohol in your system does not fight hypothermia...just the opposite, in fact.
    Big thermos of hot coffee!:cool:
  12. CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

Covington, Wa
  13. Wayne Jordan Active Member

Ratings: +14 / 0
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    :thumb:

A few winter fishing pics for ya!
  14. uncledave corkie stare blind

Anacortes,Wa.
    Thought this was a flyfishing forum?
  15. Wayne Jordan Active Member

Ratings: +14 / 0
    I like to throw pictures like this in every now and then to get responses like the one you just gave...:rofl:
  16. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,400 / 0
    This is what winter fishing in Montana looks like. Except they have heated shanties out on the lakes along with all the cars and SUV's.

Ice stays on the lakes and res's pretty long here.

Jim
  17. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    I'm talking winter... cold days. A cold beer on a frigid day doesn't do it for me, and I never take hard liquor with me fishing anymore, let alone boating. Spring summer, and fall, if i'm going to be on a lake in my squanoe for the good part of the day, I'll usually have a couple of beers along.
    Besides, my wang has its own central heating!:cool:
  18. sharpshooter223 Member

richland/pullman, wa
    ok, what temp would be about the line where the fish go deeper
  19. BFK Member

North Sound, Wash.
    This may not apply to your lakes, but when I used to fish Lake Roosevelt during the winter, the trout were mostly up in the water column. I would be fishing in the upper 10 feet or so, and it wasn't unusual to see dimples or swirls where the trout were hitting or taking daphnia.

As far as temps go, we occasionally fished in water that was forming slush ice, which is right about 31 degrees, or at least that's what the temp gauge was saying. I recall that it's 34 degrees where water becomes heaviest and sinks, and the lakes become homogenous as far as temps go. I certainly caught a lot of trout on both sides of that temperature near the surface.

But if I were to take a guess, I'd say that 34 degrees and lower is where you'll find the fish at all depths, living in the warmest water. Then as the lakes cool even more, the surface ices over and the temperature stabilizes. Doing the ice fishing thing for trout, I found that fish would be moving by at all depths at any given time--anywhere from the surface to the bottom.
  20. uncledave corkie stare blind

Anacortes,Wa.
    I believe the magic temp is more like 41 degrees