Winter lake fishing

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Nol, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

It's all about water temp not air temp.
    Find the right water temp and fish on.

2. Stefan Elliott

Stefan Elliott New Member

Trout like the cold and prowl the shallows in the winter

3. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

Is jigging through the ice with a weighted wooley bugger and using a fly rod, FLY FISHING? :hmmm:

Keith

4. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    can anyone give me some tips on taking water temps. i was thinking just tieing a thermometer onto a a line that changes color every ten feet, adding a weight, and hanging that off the side of my tube.

what im curious about is what thermometer to use and how long to keep it down to be accurate. thanks

5. sharpshooter223

sharpshooter223 Member

they sell aquarium thermometers at pet stores, might work. i was thinking of just tying a knot or making a mark every 5 feet.

6. Islander

Islander Steve

I have one left over from my bass fishing days. It's a probe on a cord that is marked every 5'. You hold the readout in your hand and lower the probe into the water. They probably still sell them at Bass Pro Shop or Cabelas.

7. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Yes, but only if you stand back from the hole and cast your weighted bugger into it.:p:rofl::clown::beer2:

8. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

This is true story and no exaggeration, however no one believes us, but it is the truth. When I was living in Newport, WA my buddy Nick and I decided to go fish a little lake on private property up in the Selkirks. The owner of the land was a friend of ours. When we got to the lake we found it still covered with Ice. However the ice was sloppy and very, very thin. Nick looked in his fishing tackle and found a crappy jig, tied it on and tossed it high in the air and it went right through the ice. Immediately he had a fish on. I tied on a jig but it was slightly smaller and black and it didn't have enough weight to punch through the water. I started dragging it back over the the ice and a fat little 10 or 12 inch brookie broke throught the ice ate it. Fish on. We switched to some size 10 wooley buggers and and started dragging them across the soft slushy ice. Almost ever cast we had a fish on. A day ealier the ice would have been too thick for the fish to punch through, a day later most of the ice would have been gone.

Now the question is: Were we fly fishing? We certainly were casting and retrieving a fly.

Keith

9. mstrofsinanju

mstrofsinanju {Fly fishing} = Time well spent

Cabela's sells a depth computer that goes on the end of a line. You drop it to the bottom slowly and as it drops it records temp@depth info. It is kind of spendy for a gadget, i think it was about $40.00? it was a while ago that I bought it.

good luck!

10. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    Water is most dense at 39 F/4 C. If there's actually slush in the water, it's probably a lot closer to 32 than it is to 39.

That depth computer sound nice, bu spendy.

11. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Definition=

12. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    That has been my experience, too. Also, fish days when the wind is blowing gently from the southwest to west. Wind from that direction will warm things a bit while the barometer is slowly rising. And do scope out the shallows, like Stefan says. Just focus on habitat that looks both fishy and buggy. We're talking about a food chain that you want to be on top of and at the top of.