Winter reading

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Steve Vaughn, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Steve Vaughn

Steve Vaughn Member

I've finally decided that it is time I "man up" and confront my ignorance of fly fishing lakes. When I lived in New York State where I was born and raised I trolled streamers some and pitched bass bugs with little confidence. When I look at a river, even if I've never seen it before, I can pretty much feel confident that I know where the fish are or should be. Looking at a lake totally befuddles me. So I'm looking for some informational reading for the winter so I can go out there next season and believe that I have some bit of a clue on Washington lakes.

I would like some suggested reading, primarily for trout lakes but warm water techniques would be welcome from you lake aficionados. Thanks in advance.

Steve

2. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

beginners = morris and chan on fly fishing trout lakes .

advanced = denny rickards fly fishing still waters . don't know if that's the right title but he does good writings on fishing for trophy trout in lakes .

3. Casual

Casual New Member

4. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

The ability to sight fish helps. That could mean anything from spotting areas where rising fish are concentrated, to climbing a bank to get a better view of shallows on a warm day. Every lake is different(every lake is the same). Get good at the general techniques, tweak and hone them for different lakes and situations.

5. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

On this forum there is a series of still water articles by Ford Fender that are a good as it gets.
    Read all of them + do what it says = catch fish. Simple as that AND it is local knowledge...
    jesse
    PS These articles should be published.

6. Alansauce

Alansauce New Member

I tried to search for the Ford Fender posts, but looks like he is doing some revision

7. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I couldn't pull them up either months ago , but i'm not very good with this computer crap .

8. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

I agree with the above. Read Morris & Chan and Ford Fenders stuff first. Rickards knows his business but I've found his writing most applicable to the big, shallow reservoirs in eastern ID, MT, WY, and CO.

9. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

There is probably an easier way but this is how I find them when I want to re-read something;
    Click on community/members
    Find Ford Fender
    Click on posts started.
    Scroll down there is a bunch listed start at one and read them all.
    jesse

10. Steve Vaughn

Steve Vaughn Member

Thanks guys, I will start my research.

Steve

11. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Hate to have any confusion out there. Series was pulled down a while back and is presently in limbo. My apologies for any time spent looking for it.

12. Methow Roamer

Methow Roamer Seeker of the Exotic and Aquatic

nevermind, late post

13. JMitchell

JMitchell Active Member

Rickards newest book is very informative, lots of good info.

jarron

14. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

In oregon i think a lot of the stillwater books need to be rewritten because of invasive fish . I know that many of the central oregon trophy lakes have all changed because of the stickleback minnows and other invasive's that have taken up residence . they change the whole eco system . I was looking for books on crane prairie res. but none were correct in the insect activity it has now .

I will have to get his new book - thanks .

15. Joe Smolt

Joe Smolt Member

I'll offer suggestions beyond the trout world. Since you are on the East side consider Carp fishing by Renolds and don't let anyone tell you that carp fishing is a joke. Stalking on "flats" of the Columbia is very challenging. I also recommend Clouser's book on smallmouth. Another great fish on the Columbia. Folks mentioned Morris/Chan and Rickards. There is also Gary Fontaine's book, which is a fun read. Who else would recommend trekking with goats.

Wish Ford Fender would explain why his posts were pulled. He did a good job and explained something most books don't. The idea of looking for clues and trying to change your tactics until you cue into what works. That is probably the best advice that you will rarely find discussed in books (at least the ones I've read).

I've got a small arsenal of flies/tactics I switch between until I find what works. My flies/tactics arent meant to match the hatch and frankly work in my lakes most of the fishing year. Key is trying stuff. Heck one of my spring outings, I was throwing what was a surface popper generally meant for bass and was catching brown trout frequently while the chronomid fishermen were doing nothing. From what I've seen a good chronomid fisherman can on average out do most other strategies. I've simply not had the patience to do it. It is this idea to try stuff and build confidence with different techniques to try in the future, building your arsenal.

Joe

16. steeli

steeli Member

I learned a lot from this now older book; great for stillwater.

The Gilly: A Flyfisherman's Guide -Alfred Davy (Author)