Winter resident coho predictions?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Clint F, Nov 11, 2009.

?

What will this years winter resident coho numbers look like?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2010.
  1. great

13 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. ok

28 vote(s)
    52.8%
  3. poor

12 vote(s)
    22.6%
  1. Ok, With winter around the corner, what are your predictions for the resident coho this winter? Just currious what you all think.

Clint

2. You've only got a couple years to catch coho! Nostradamus says the world will END on December 21, 2012. Are there any Nostradamus's on here? ..... Fill out the survey!!!! :D

3. That's funny shit.

Seriously, Last year was rediculous in numbers! If all goes well, It should be a sick year again. :thumb:

4. clint thats like asking if a fat kid really like cake of course we want good numbers of rezzi's! ahaha i had a blast last year!

5. Zack, we all want good numbers but looking at previous years I do not think it will be good at all this year. Just seeing what everyone else thought.

Clint

6. true, hopefully it happens. i'd like to get out and try some new flies i've been tyin up.

7. Zack, I had a blast on Fox Island last year. I'm ready to try out a glow shrimp I tied this summer... Night fishin' with Glow Poppers is amazing!

8. oh sooooot might have to take my boat out sometime

9. the fishing is going to be awesome this winter! What kind of question is that to even ask?!

JR:thumb:

10. Well its good to see you all thinking its going to be good. I asked because everything I have seen so far tell me that the resident coho fishing this winter is going to suck, but we will have to see. Still would like to hear what the rest of you think.

Clint

11. to be honest, I didn't even know there was a winter coho run! hahaha

12. hahahahaha

13. Why is it they all bitch when hatchery steelhead are put into a river but don't bitch about hatchery Coho in a river.

14. Perhaps it is the same reason folks act like the world is coming to an end if a Wild Steelhead is kept but congratulate others for bonking a native Coho hen.

15. most of the ressie coho stay in the salt and in the s, sound
    Peter you are all over these fiesty eaters
    they will slash gurglers

16. If they are "resident" coho, where would they have gone to make this year not as good as years past? Just curious, I don't know much about these fish

17. theres only one way to find out

18. It should be clear to most long term observers that the degree to which those coho remain in the Sound depends in large part to the conditions they find during the summer when they first enter the sound. It is also clear that those conditions vary considerably year to year and the relative numbers of "resident" coho also vary.

During the summer/early fall of 2008 small coho were everywhere in Puget Sound and often it was nearly impossible to target the large adult salmon (coho/Chinook) without catching huge numbers of coho "shakers". During the summer/fall of this past season the numbers of coho "shakers" where not nearly as abundant. Even when using smaller gear for the humpies a coho shaker was a rare catch.

Based on those obseravtions I would expect that winter coho numbers will likely be considerably less than the past season. Of course as we all know our sea-going salmonids have demostrated a ability to surprise us. Which is why most of just go fishing and hope for the best rather than waiting for reports or predictions.

The above seems to have little bearing on the numbers of "resident" coho in the summer fishery in the cental sound.

Tight lines
    Curt

19. Here's a proposal. Smalma goes outside on December 1st, 2009 and if he sees his shadow the resident coho fishing will be amazing. If not, it will be poor. Smalma will post the results in this thread, and we can all then decide to fish (or not).

20. The rezzies are "Puget Sound resident Coho". Resident coho are raised and released in salt water, and generally mill around the sound until we put them out of their misery, seldom spawning at all. Hatchery steelhead return to the rivers where they can spawn with wild fish and dilute gene pools adapted to local waters.

Apples and oranges comparison, except that all hatchery fish should be considered food..