Winter Solstice & SRC's in Hood Canal

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by dryflylarry, Dec 20, 2009.

1. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Well, close enough to Winter Solstice. I got the itch to go hit a stretch of beach this late afternoon, looking for the famous Hood Canal cutthroats. My fall fishing has been slow for the first time in quite a few years. I arrived at the beach at about 2:45 PM and fished until dark… Well, heck, it was dark at 2:45!! A dark cloud overhanging the Canal made it even darker. I strung my rod up at the truck, put on a fly I had just tied this afternoon before leaving. It was sort of a brass conehead small sculpin with hints of orange in the tail and a guinea orange kinda beard. Anyway, a short walk later and I was on the beach. One spot always seems to hold some fish and I always make a short cast from the upland very carefully and only about 30 feet out. My fly was slammed with the first cast. I think it was around 17 inches. A short time later I hooked another for a flash of a second, it jumped in front of me and was at least the same size or more. I moved over down the beach 50’ and cast some more and had some light bumps. I decided to move down the beach and try another spot about 200’ away. Nothing was going on. I switched to an Orange Crush shrimp pattern. Nothing happening, so I went back to where the action was previously. I got some follows and very light “nipping” takes about 4 times, so I made a change-up to the Kilowatt Red. After about a half-dozen casts, the cutt hit hard within 20’ of me. Another nice hard fighting beauty. With no more action, I made another change-up to a squid-like pattern I use. It was about 4 PM and the light was getting low. I hooked up immediately with a strong fish. I snapped a couple of photos using the flash by this time. It was getting almost dark, about 4:30 I hooked another beauty, released it, and decided I was happy enough for a December day all alone on the beach. Four nice sea-runs in about two hours of fishing around 16-17”. What did you do from 2:45 to 4:30? I l just love those cutts! It's been a while. :beer1:

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

:thumb:
    I took the kids to a brass band concert. Fun, but no fish involved. Great report DryFlyLarry!:beer1:

3. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Most excellent report and photos. Thanks for sharing your trip.

4. Zissou Intern

Zissou Intern New Member

Right on! Thanks for the story and the pictures.

5. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Larry nice fish!

looks luck your SRC luck has shifted

I will get that bisque rescipe to you

love to see that squid pattern

6. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Nice Larry, good job!! Do you suppose that luck rubed off from the people you've associated wih lately. Nah I don't think so. I think you earned it. Bob

7. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Larry, glad to hear that someone is
    getting out and catching fish.

Dave

8. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Nice fish, Larry. Did you try any of the patterns from the swap?

9. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Not yet Steve, but I think the color of your shrimp pattern might be a good one. I think they wanted something light. I hate to use the ties I get in the swaps, but rather tie up matching patterns. I think I will try your pattern next time I get out. I want to give Kelvin's reverse spider a go too. Heck, they were all great patterns! I have to get with the program! I will be out before Xmas again, hopefully!

10. Scott Orness

Scott Orness Small fish in a big pond

Sweet cutties Larry!

11. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Unforgivable!!!!!!

12. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Nice job with the photos and post Larry.
    Definitely the way to spend the shortest day of the year..