Winter Steel Swap II

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Matthew Gulbranson, Dec 21, 2008.

1. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Media:
    I dropped mine in the mailbox this morning so expect them soon.

2. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    Chukar, got yours Saturday. Nice flies dude! Obi, can't wait to see yours. Here are pics of the flies so far.

Attached Files:

3. obiwankanobi

Media:
    Under the heavy influence of Jack Daniel's, I created a fly pattern that I call the "Obiwan-Prawn". The first two prototypes I applied a thin layer of epoxy over the back of the fly. My attempt was to reinforce the pheasant feather that is folded from the rear to the front of the fly. After some sobriety set in, I determined that the epoxy would weight the top too much causing the fly to ride underside during the swing. For the rest of the ties, I just applied two coats of Sally Hansen's over the back, giving it some sheen and some durability. My apologies since two of you will recieve the original epoxied prototypes but with a proper knot, they should still ride upright under water.

4. Matthew Gulbranson

Media:
    Obi, just got home and saw your flies today...looking good dude! I don't know if the epoxy flies will be too top heavy or not, either way, both of them look great.

Now we just need to get Nick's flies in. I want to get these flies out soon, so I am thinking another week and then I'll get them sent out to be fair to everyone. How does that sound? Not too much time left to fish for the winter steel.

Hope everyone has a good holiday weekend!

5. Gary Dills

Gary Dills 3 weight to 10 weight

Hey guys
    I've been outta the loop for a week or so...just had a little heart problem...actually a stint placement in the lad (artery that supplies 40% 02 to the heart muscle). Glad God nudged me to get it checked before checking out on some river! Anyhoo, I'd sure like to get something before next weekend, as I will be taking the trailer over to the west side for some fishing. BTW I feel better now than I have for a long time.:) Glad to be Alive!
    Gary

6. Matthew Gulbranson

Media:
    Gary, Good to know your going to be OK! I am going to be out of town until next Tuesday, but will have them in the mail Wednesday morning, hope that will get them to you in time. I will send Nick a pm too so he's in the loop. I don't know if there is internet out where i'm gonna be, so not sure I can keep close tabs on the swap.
    Cheers,
    Dinker

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Gary, glad you are still with us. I'm hoping that we all get them soon to fish them. Dinker said he is sending them out soon. I'm excited to see the collection.

8. Matthew Gulbranson

Media:
    Alright Gents, flies went in the mail today. I hope they all arrive in your hands quickly and safely! Thanks for participating for the first swap that I have hosted. The flies are all great.

Gary, I hope they get to you before you leave on your quest for steel. As for me, I just got back from four days on the Sky without even a pull. It seems my quest for my first steel is still that...a quest. I hope to have one to hand before this winter is over, but I guess that will be left in the hands of the fish gods.

Cheers,
    Dinker

9. Ed Call

Media:
    Thanks Dinker, will update the thread when they arrive. Thanks for hosting our motley group and may the steelhead gods be with us all.

10. Matthew Gulbranson

Media:
    Alright, flies are now officially posted in the gallery, enjoy! I didn't put anyone's name by the flies, so feel free to add yours to your creation, if that's possible.

Thanks again for making this a great swap!

11. obiwankanobi

Media:
    Thanks for hosting the swap and posting the pics. I just wanted to include a quick recipe of the "Obiwan-Prawn" fly since I didn't include it in the package I sent out.

Hook: TMC #6 7999
    Thread: Red GSP
    Tail: Orange Bucktail, 6-8 strands of orange crystal flash, two grizzly neck feathers, golden pheasant neck feather with the middle section clipped to represent claws, shrimp ice dubbing mixed with a generic shrimp colored dubbing, two red pheasant cape feather's
    Body: Shrimp dubbing mixed with shrimp colored ice dubbing, lead wire wrapped around hook for added weight
    Spey hackle: 2 Hot orange dyed silver pheasant neck feathers treated with a mild bleach solution to burn the fibers and make them appear more wirey
    Back: Large red pheasant cape feather folded over the top of the hook and treated with Sally Hansen's nail polish or a light coating of epoxy
    Collar: Red pheasant rump feather

Hope these flies work for everyone and thanks to all the participants in the swap.

12. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Got mine today, great job everyone. Thanks for hosting.

13. Matthew Gulbranson

Media:
    Cool, good to hear they made it to you safe Daryle! Thanks for tying!

14. Gary Dills

Gary Dills 3 weight to 10 weight

Hey guys, thanks for the well wishes. I'm feeling great now. Like 20 yrs younger. Got my flies today. Thanks Dinker, you did a great job! I'm headed for the Bogi tomorrow for the weekend. Hope to get over to Oxbow on Sunday to meet a lot of a.k.a.'s from this forum. Great looking flies. My grand daughter 4 yrs old was soooo excited. She loved the pink, then the blue, then the purple...and on it goes. I will give em all a try in the days to come. :) Again, thanks guys!

Gary

15. Ed Call

Media:
    Great looking flies all. Gary, glad you are getting back on the water. I'm sure we all are looking forward to a report.

16. obiwankanobi

Media:
    I just wanted to say thanks everyone for the great looking ties and to Dinker for hosting the swap.

17. Matthew Gulbranson

Media:
    Thanks Obi! I am glad I did it and will do again, it was fun. I am really looking forward to using these soon, and I am hoping with this rain that is forecasted we might have some fish moving next week?! I plan on trying my tying hand at the "obiwan prawn" too!

18. fly punk

fly punk lunatic trout bum

Thanks for hosting Dinker, good looking flies everyone. :thumb:

19. Chukar Spey

Chukar Spey I'll take Chukar & Steelhead all day, every day!

Nice work gents, thanks for the hard work Dinker. I'll put 'em to work in Oregon in a few weeks! Cross your fingers!