Winter Steelhead ... Do they eat or don't they

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Stephen Rice, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Long_Rod_Silver

Long_Rod_Silver New Member

2. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

First step is admitting these crazy fish will do what they will.. bite or not, and confound us all. I have a hunch some steelhead chow every damn thing in their way, some won't touch anything. Some steelhead go to sea for years, some never, some go home and spawn and live, some die, some go to another "home" and make fun there. They will show up in Mexico in creeks that haven't had water for years. They won't show up in prime conditions, they'll show in numbers in poor conditions. Steelhead are solo from the moment they emerge until they spawn. Where do they go, why? Who knows! I love it. The only regional species that confounds your spreadsheet data even more is our sea run char. Where do they go, what do they eat, when, why, how? I hope we never know! The dynamics of life are always changing. Adapt or die, and have multiple back up plans. Mother nature ain't dumb.

The answer: Yes "steelhead" will eat. How do you think we ever got ourselves landlocked "rainbow trout." :)

3. Jay Allyn

Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

Thouse steelhead only have a different name and genus because trout and salmon used to be classified with Atlantic Salmon and Brown Trout. Now these are the only fish in Norht America that have the Salmo name.

Steelhead are listed under two names, one for the coastal rainbow trout ( Oncorhynchus mykiss irideus) which has a origonal range from the Kuskokwim River in Alaska to the Otay River in California east of the Cascades and Serria Nevada. The other steelhead is the Redband Trout of the Columbia River Basin (Oncorhynchus mykiss gairdneri) which has an origonal range of both the Fraiser and Columbia rivers basins east of the Cascades. These Redbanned Steelhead also used to migrate up the Snake River to Shoshone Falls.

Edit- Message to self: Read full post before posting a reply. :beathead On the other hand, the second part of my post is full of info that most people do not know so I will keep my post on the board.

4. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

Who cares? They readily take flies.

Randy

" When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee" Isaiah 43:2