Winter steelhead fly line

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Lil Hen, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Lil Hen New Member

Seattle, Wa, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I'm getting ready to buy new line for my 8wt and would like some advice on what to get. I would love to hear some opinions from you guys. Keep in mind it will be used for winter steelhead. Any help would be excellent. Thanks

Hen.
  2. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +645 / 0
    Im hooked on the Rio versitip System for both my single handers and my spey rods.Great connections in the loops and they are smoother now than ewver going through the guides.
  3. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Get a switchable head system. I highly reccomend Rio's Versi Tip. Its expensive but I think their loops are the best on the market right now and their tips are also density compensated. Complete with 5 heads,line and mesh line holder.
    http://www.rioproducts.com/2003pages/interchangeabletipfl03.html

If you are sticking with just one or two rivers, I highly recommend buying Cortlands 444SL Type3 sink tip and Rio's Type4 sink tip. Cut off the tip of the 444 and add a braided loop to be able to switch from the Type3 and 4. All this for under 70.00.

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
    Matthew 4:19
  4. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I really like Airflo's Multitip line. I have used one now for a year without a hitch. Its a little stiff in the morning, but its still bulletproof, unlike my other lines after a year.

But I consider that 15' of sink tip may be a little shy for rivers like the Sky. I have built a shooting head system for 30' of sinking line, and also plan to get some Airflo polyleaders to get 20' and 25' with the multitip.

But if a multitip is beyond your budget, I spend most of my winter with the type 6 tip on, so you could easily buy one line Type 4 to 6 as your base setup.
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!
  5. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,653 / 0
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

I also have the Rio Versitip and I'm not too happy with it. I just can't seem to cast it but I think I know what the problem is. I'm out there trying to cast it but I should really just forget about it and fish some other way.

Jim
  6. FLYFYSY New Member

As an owner of both Teeny t-series and Cortland 444SL lines, I would recommend the Teeny lines for castability. As for line weight select a 200gr. for smaller streams, 300 to 500 gr. for larger rivers (an 8 wt. rod will be pressed hard with a 500 gr. line). The changeable lines (or shooting heads with a running line combinations) don't shoot as well because they tend to hindge at the joint.

A technique I love is using a dry line with an un-tapered 10-15 ft. leader and 1 to 3 large lead shot positioned 3 to 5 ft. from the fly to get it down. Start with one shot and increase till you feel the shot bumping bottom. This is an effective technique for salmon and steelhead but casting it takes sometime to learn. It is not for the fait hearted. The key is to wait for line to extend fully on the back cast and not too long or you will snap the leader (or blast your self in the head).

Ken
  7. Joe Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    I've tried both the Rio and the Airflo, and I think the Airflo is MUCH better. The difference is in the loop connectors. The Airflo loops are much better (smoother).

Joe
  8. skyriver Member

Covington, Washington.
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I have been very happy with the standard old Scientific Anglers 13' sink tip lines. I have a type 4 that I fish 90% of the time. The 15' type 4 that Orvis sells is also very good.
    My two cents on tip systems-
    Be careful. Most good fly water for steelhead is under 6ft. I would advise those just starting out (I realize you may not fit this Lil Hen) not spend all their time changing tips. If you can maximize your time on water that is fishable on a type 4 you'll catch more fish anyway. Perfect the swing and depth of a type 4 on classic water and you'll understand you can do a lot by just controlling the line (mending, feeding, etc.).
    The best lesson I've been taught (by an old egg fisherman) was the ole "hook in the water." If the hook's not in the water you will not catch a steelhead. Time changing lines, tips, leaders, flies, sharpening flies because your hanging rocks every cast, unhooking branches, driving, sight casting and all the other steelhead traps will make you catch less fish. Try to keep the tip changes to a minimum. This also helps you flow with the crowd on a busy day.
    Have fun,
    Stacy
  9. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Actually the reason that the integrated heads shoot better for guys that own them is that those guys have fattened the wallets of the corporate gods. Us cheapskates have to learn to cast better in order to outshoot the integrated heads.

But then again, with one reel and one spool, I can cast any shooting head I want 200-500 grain, weight 6-15, floating to super-rock sinking. Well, actually, I have 2 reels that will cover this. And its $30 per head.

As to hinging at the joint, its because the joint in inadequate. There are techniques that us cheapskates share to keep costs low, and to keep hinging to a minimum.

And quite frankly, I am just paraphrasing a guy behind the counter in one of Seattle's fly shops.
    ---------
  10. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,653 / 0
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

I have the Rio Versitip system and I also have the cheap 8wt fwd sink tip line. And I find out that I can cast the cheap line better than I can the Rio one. It gets out and down with no problem. But I don't think that I'm giving myself a chance with that Rio line.

The cheap line is the one I hooked a Chum with and fought it for over 15 minutes and it held together.

Jim
  11. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +658 / 5
    Had a question for all of you

I've been wanting to check out the Airflo's. But it seems that most of the multitip systems and river lines are 7wt down. I'd love to get a multitip and maybe a river line for my 8 and 9 wts. Anyone know if they plan to increase to those line weights (besides spey)? I've heard good things about them. But can't throw something they don't have.
  12. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +326 / 0

I have a Rio versi-tip in 9wt. Got it at Avid Angler in Lk Forest Park. I bought it a few years back for fishing cohos and sockeye in AK. This is my first year using it on the big PS rivers (Sky, Stilly, and Skagit so far). I was out on the Sky on Sunday and found the type 6 tip with a heavy fly was barely enough to touch bottom in a 4-5 ft deep run and then only if I worked the water right in front of me. I can see why people like spey rods and 25' tips for the big water!

Rod
  13. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

I have seen both Rio and Airflo in bigger weights. And I plan to get a 10 weight for my big rod. The Rio Versatip is available to 10 wt, and the Airflo Multitip to 12wt according to the Bob Marriot's Catalog.

Rob
    ---------
  14. DEREK New Member

Olympia, WA.

I believe they all make them up to a size ten. If you went into a fly shop you might find one. :TONGUE
  15. skyriver Member

Covington, Washington.
    Ratings: +3 / 0

Troutpocket,
    If you can't hit bottom in 4-5 feet of water with a type 6 line and a heavy fly you're fishing water that's moving way too fast. Find water that's not moving as fast and you'll hook more winter steelies. How long is your tip? 4-5 foot of water is perfect and should be easy to touch rocks with a type 4 and a size 2 fly.
    Good luck,
    Stacy
  16. swingin saly New Member

May want to check out a line called the Yancy line, I think Dennis Dickson sells it on his sons website called Streamside Flyshop.com I have used before and it is very effective for winter and summer steelheading. It is a multi tip line and allows you to spey cast a single handed rod! Oh by the way Rio versatip suck, those who fish it, must not realize that the tips don't turnover how they should. No offense just my two cents. Take the time and check this line out, you wont regret it, neither will your arm!!
  17. miked New Member

mukilteo, washington, usa.

yes the yancy line system is great. i used it on monday and gona pick one up. thanks mike and dennis.
  18. fishingseaducer Guest

Can you tell me more about the Yancy line?

I checked out there Web site for more info,
    but I dont understand, is this a flat mono
    shooting line?

Streamside flyshop sells the multi tip w/o
    sinking heads for $59.99 alot for mono.

" Yancy and Mark came up with the forward
    belly design Dennis improved it with the flat mono
    running line".Is it both?. :CONFUSED
  19. Swinger Banned or Parked

hi yancy :AA
  20. swingin saly New Member

Swinger, I think you have the wrong person! I do know this that the flat mono line does act like a shooting line, you can actually use either a small diameter running line or the mono. This is not expensive compared to the Rio or Airflo lines. It is not the mono that costs the money it is the actual fly line itself. It does work and is effective, if you have never tried it, you should, you will be amazed.