Winter steelhead question???

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Panhandle, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    What do you guys use on the Sklagit and Sauk as far as tips- type 6 and 8? I'm throwing a windcutter spey. I don't have a skagit system and don't plan on getting one this year, since this will be my only winter fish trip this year. I understand it varies with conditions, just wondering if you guys go as low as type 3 or stay typically above. Thanks.
  2. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +53 / 1
    I use a type 3 on the skagit on a few runs. Bring all of them. I have 3 two handed rods rigged in my boat for different runs. A multi tip system is your best bet.

Good luck up there. When are you going to fish it?
  3. Brent Comer Member

Duvall, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Skwala,

I usually fish type 3 or type 6 rio 15' tips. I've seen some T-14 (and variants) used in fascinating ways. I'm tempted to try it out this year in certain situations.

That being said: I'm not an expert. I'm still learning. :)
  4. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,617 / 0
    Skwala,

I primarily use type IV and VI tips, always 15'. I use the same ones usually whether it's my 8 wt single handed or any of my 2 handed rods. It's easy to be tempted to overthink this, but completely unnecessary. Bring a few conehead or dumbell eyed flies for any deeper/faster water you encounter, and you've got it covered. I fished for years with a 15' type IV permantly spliced to my WF floating line through all types of runs except the very slow or very shallow. In Mar/Apr, the natives aren't shy and will hit if you're even close to the zone.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
  5. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    You really don't need a lot of tips. Of course if you fish every day and have 3 rods you could have a nice time using the perfect setup for the perfect conditions et cetera....I don't waste my time changing tips unless the water is REALLY cold and you have to fish super slow in slower water right near the bottom. When the steelhead are active and taking you can just vary your cast to fish the runs effectively....for example if the run is shallower, than cast at a greater angle downstream so the line swings faster. If it is shallower you won’t need as much time to sink to the bottom so this won’t matter. The fly will move quicker but as long as the steelhead are active, they will pounce.
  6. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +839 / 1
    For the past few years I have been looping on extra fast sinking poly leaders to my floating line. I use the Air Flo 15 footers and am currently using a Rio ten footer. I simply loop about three feet of 20# leader to the polyleader to tie my flies onto.

It turns my flies over nicely and gets it down to where I want it.

Leland.
  7. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Thanks guys. Ringlee, I'm going in March. I'm only bringing one rod- 12ft 8 spey. I'm assuming, like the winters I fished for growing up in Oregon, that you guys are using large profile marabous, rather than low profile skunks, practitioners, hairwings, etc..
  8. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    Yessser