Winter Steelhead swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Cameron Derbyshire, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    Awesome flies guys! time for some steel.

2. SmokinAces

SmokinAces Keepin' It Reel

Just got the flies in the mail today. They look great! Thanks again to everyone involved!

3. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

I just got mine. My first impression: the Skykomish Sunrise is dead, or at least in hiding with D. B. Cooper. Winter steelhead fly design has moved far afield, in multiple directions. Singly or as a group, they're dazzling.

Cameron, thanks for herding us cats over the last few months, getting most of us successfully across the finish line. Do you have the ability to take a group portrait of the flies, with or without name labels of the participants? If so, that would be a great photo, both for us and for the "Fur, Feathers, and Flies" section of the Spey Pages forum.

I've never mounted a framed fly display before, but these deserve it. There's Michael's, an arts-and-crafts chain of stores here in WA that has a big variety of standard frames, plus custom matting and framing, and 40-50% coupon discounts in every weekly newspaper flyer. I'm going to see what they can do.

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Mine arrived too. CD, excellent swap. Great looking flies all. I will certainly enjoy tying these on and giving them a cast. Thanks to all involved.

5. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    mine didn't, Damn Spokane! im sure they'll be here tomorrow

6. Randy Chong

Randy Chong New Member

I am sure that mine have arrived, but I won't be seeing them for another week. I happen to be on vacation in Hawaii, so I am giving everyone a week's headstart on putting the pins to some steel. :thumb: In the meantime, I will drool over the pictures online, and maybe while I am laying on a beach basking in the sun, I might actually think of standing balls-deep in 36 degree water swinging some flies on my two-hander.... Not! :rofl:

Although not quite the same as winter steelheading, I will be on my cousins boat tomorrow fishing. And I did happen to bring a handful of saltwater flies to try.:D:D

Randy

7. xdog

xdog Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I got mine several days ago and have not had time to post. Very nice work by all. Cameron thankyou for hosting the swap.

Tight lines gentlemen,

:beer2:

8. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I recieved my flies today . Great looking bugs all . Can`t wait to give them a swim .

Thanks to all the participants :beer2: , and a Big thumbs-up to the swapmeister .

9. Randy Chong

Randy Chong New Member

Picked up my flies at the post office today.....They all look great!

A good job by all, and thumbs up to the Swapmeister! :thumb:

Randy

10. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    iagree, awesome bugs by everybody! Thanks Cameron, can't wait to fish some of them.

11. Cameron Derbyshire

Cameron Derbyshire Steelhead, Classic Atlantic salmon flies

Media:
    Gentlemen, as per a kind request of Nooksack's, I took a photo of our dozen submissions and posted that, with a tyer key, under our swap folder in the gallery. Please enjoy. I thank you tyers for the kind regards. This was my second or third hosted swap. It went incredibly smoothly and the patterns were excellent. So many wanted to join our swap, it spawned a second winter steelhead swap!

12. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Turns out that the assembled flies were so visually mesmerizing that I had them framed (by Michael's, using a -40% coupon), in a fancy 14.5" x 11.5" frame; $135 plus tax. It's a gorgeous addition to my wall.

And truth is, with winter steelhead as rare as they've become, I feel a little more confident fishing my own choice of flies (which aren't always my own designs). Thanks again to all.

13. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    thats cool!!! would love to see a pic of the setup of the flies in the frame if you ever get a chance...