Winter steelheaders...What's on your feet ?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by DBLTAPER, Jan 30, 2010.

1. DBLTAPER

DBLTAPER Member

What's better bootfoot waders or stocking feet. Breathable or neoprene .
    What works for you and what brand ?

Joe

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    While my stocking foot waders were in Bozeman MT getting a checkup for leaks I wore my old backups and froze. I passed those backups to someone new to the game and invested in a nice pair of breathables with felt soled muck boots. Extremely comfortable, great grip and most importantly, warm warm warm.

3. Tod Fossetta

Tod Fossetta Sorry, I'm not set up for that.

I have Cabela's Guide breathable waders, stockingfoot, and just got a new pair of Korkers for my birthday.:thumb: But I will say my feet got pretty cold this morning in the SnoHo at Aaron's spey clinic. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

4. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    I have a cheap pair of neoprene bootfoots (Cabelas) that I wear when the going gets cold. The stocking feet on my regular waders don't allow for enough toe wiggle room. Now Mumbles' suggestion of the custom Simms muckboot is a great one, but about 3 times as expensive as my cheapo pair.

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    But I look WAY better in my breathables than you do in your figure hugging neoprenes...and I got a great deal from a shop folding on the east coast. Sorry to hear their fate, but glad to have warm feet.

6. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    Stocking foot breathable Dan Bailey's. Bang for buck, the best you can do. Great warrenty and ata price where you can buy 2 pair.

Steelheaders have to buy gas.

Go Sox,
    cds

7. Preston

Preston Active Member

Bootfoots are, without question, warmer than any stocking foot/boot combination. I've never found it necessary to wear more than a thin liner sock (polypropylene or polyester, avoid silk and never, never use cotton) and a medium-weight wool sock under mine for all-day comfort in the coldest weather. A properly-fitting boot foot should fit snugly enough for tricky wading situations while still allowing unrestricted circulation, which is the real key to keeping feet warm.

The proper combination of layers under a pair of breathable waders can easily provide more warmth than even 5-mm neoprenes. Again, cotton is worse than useless; a pair of midweight stretch-fleece longjohn bottoms and, if necessary, a second layer of fleece (I only find this necessary in the very coldest conditions). I usually start the layering process with a pair of polyester briefs, cotton undergarments will soak up perspiration and hold it there, directly against the skin, providing the maximum, and unwanted, amount of cooling and an uncomfortable degree of clamminess.

8. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    I'm not a hard core Steelheader as many are on this board. But I have a very inexpensive set up, Hodgman Neoprene waders and Allen Gold Stream boots.$65 for the pair and I've never been cold and they are holding up well with nearly two years of use.

9. Skilly

Skilly Member

Breathables light sox and wool sox. biggest key to keeping your feet warm is to have shoes that are not tight. I have neoprene waders but just don't seem to wear them anymore. I just keep them in case company comes and needs a pair.

10. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

Nailed it!!!!

11. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    Like what was said above with one thing to add...boots that are rigid enough to provide the spacing and support needed for the extra insulation, soft shell boots collapse and compact the insulation. I like my Simms G3 boots, the toes box is large and armored, as well as the sides and instep, so the boot insulates well, at the same time it snugs up to the ankles for support. Also, take care to get the right size of stocking foot to accomadate the extra pair of wool socks and not compress them to worthlessness.

12. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Make that two of us. Vis a vis 'boots,' the Simm's Freestones (the cheapest of their line?) have the widest 'last' (sp?) that I've run into. Just 'up-size' by two to assure you've got plenty of 'toe room' even with two pairs of socks.

13. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I fish comfortably in Dan Bailey breathable waders with a pair of heavy Patagonia wading socks (merino wool) followed by a second pair of heavy merino wool socks. I wear a size 10 shoe and size 12 wading boots. This has been the best system for me. I have heavy neoprene bootfoots that keep my feet warmer, provided I don't walk anywhere and sweat in them. I haven't had them on since I first got breathables 6 or 7 years ago.

Sg

14. chromeseeker

chromeseeker Where's the Bucket?

Simms G4 waders with the Muck boots. Even in sub-40 degree water I feel like I'm wearing slippers. I've tried every combination of stocking foot waders/boots/socks imaginable--nothing comes close to the Mucks. Got a "good" deal on Ebay and had to pull the trigger. Nicest waders I've ever owned.

C

15. k2flyfisher

k2flyfisher You're only so smart as what you choose to share.

Media:
    Home Page:
    simms breathables with some thick over the calf smartwool socks, (www.smartwool.com/default.cfm#/Mens/Socks/PerformanceSocks/_/656/) pulled up under the base layer, so you get "double" layers up to your shins, and the simms rivershed studded aquastealth boots...best sole ever made in my opinion... ive worn bootfoots and sure, theyre warmer, many guides down here wear them for standing around watching clients, but for any sort of off trail hiking, they just dont have enough support. ive found this system to keep my feet warm all day in 38 degree water. like mentioned above, circulation is also an important factor too, so size the boots (and stockingfeet) properly.

16. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    i just got the simms G3 muck boots and they are awesome in the boat, but i agree with K2Killa and say they definitely are not the best setup for bushwacking and rock scrambles. they have virtually no ankle support. having said that, i had toasty warm feet in the boat for the first time..... well..... ever.

17. Keaten LaBrel

Keaten LaBrel Formerly Tyinbugs

Media:
    Any of the simms waders with muck boots are money. hands down the warmest you can get on the water. the G3's are probably the best bang for your buck too, but as mentioned the mucks are kind of tough to wade around with. when i'm doing a lot of wading, i like the reg. G3's, patagonia shelled insulated pants, ultra heavyweight mountaineering socks, and the simms guide boot

18. NomDeTrout

NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Media:
    Man, after reading this thread, apparently i've been doing it wrong.
    I've been doing 2 layer of cotton socks and just stockingfoot. It does get cold from time to time but its not too bad.

19. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    Well, but some boots on for foot protection at least! Besides the Neoprene stocking feet will last longer.

20. NomDeTrout

NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Media:
    boots are overated! i like the feel of my stockingfoot on big rocks.