winter trout tactics for lakes

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by sharpshooter223, Dec 15, 2007.

1. sharpshooter223 Member

richland/pullman, wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    im planning on doing my first winter trip for trout and am wondering what kind of flies to use and where the trout will be located and how to present these flies (straight or jerky retreive, fast or slow) im thinking of about a 30 acre lake/pond. any help is great. im also talking about central/east side lakes
  2. PeteM Member

Snohomish, WA, US.
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    There are usually two tactics for me in winter. First is a streamer stripped low and slow. I use a type IV to get deep. Patterns like black, brown, or green woolley bugger, baitfish patterns, or muddler minnow. I will usually tie on a hare's ear dropper about 2' behind the steamer.

The second is to fish chironomids over any submerged weed bed. Usually a foot or two off the bottom. Over muddy bottoms, go with a blood worm or san juan worm.

Depending on how cold the water is, the location of fish can vary greatly. If it's very cold, they will go to the deeper parts of the lake below the thermocline where the water is warmer in the winter. (Find a good topo of the lake that shows depths). If the weather is pretty moderate, you can find fish about anywhere.

When it gets really cold, watch for feeder streams. Some fish will begin to pod up in anticipation of spawning runs (even though it's months away). A good place to find these pods is in the deeper water just in lake from the feeder stream.

Hope this helps.

Pete
  3. sharpshooter223 Member

richland/pullman, wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    is it sane to use a single person pontoon boat over 35' deep water on a 30 acre lake in the winter? does crystal flash or chartrueus rubber legs help? also what if its a man-made lake and likely to be flat bottomed?
  4. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +153 / 0
    Quote: is it sane to use a single person pontoon boat over 35' deep water on a 30 acre lake in the winter?

Depends on how well you swim! Use a personal flotation device (PFD) and dress warmly. A waterproof jacket over chest waders will help a little bit as far as getting water in the waders, and will help a lot if you have to swim for the shore. It'll keep the waders from "billowing" as you stroke. Of course the best case scenario is getting back onto the pontoon. I'd also make sure the pontoons are in good shape.

A couple months ago I fished Lake Crescent. Kinda spooky looking down into gin-clear 100 foot water and thinking about a tube leaking, and knowing the lake is over 600 feet deep! I think I squeezed the pontoons every five minutes or so....... That's one reason I'll be switching to a kayak soon.