Winter Tying Doldrums

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Hal Eckert, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Member

Media:
    So whats every one been tying ? here is a foam cone full of speys, dees, bombers and some nymphs. Time to start a second cone with nymphs, sculpins, streamers, long cold winter out here in western Gls, looks like we have another month of cold and very high rivers.

:beer1::thumb:

HE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. seanengman

seanengman Trout have no politics

Media:
    Nice ties. I have quite a stock of flies going myself, except all of mine are just dropped in a drawyer. I am yet to incorporate them into my disaster area known as my fly boxes.

3. Preston

Preston Active Member

Hal,
    I don't know what kind of camera you have, but many digital cameras have a "white balance" setting which, when set on "incandescent light", will eliminate the orange cast and reproduce natural colors.

4. seanengman

seanengman Trout have no politics

Media:
    The "incandescent light" makes the flies look holy as if they had magical fish catching powers.

5. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

I've been tying Lambuth Candlefish, size 4 to reload my coho box. This fly works extremely well from late spring through fall on actively feeding coho.
    Les

6. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Steel Head box 1 and 2 already quite full from last winter and I only had to tie a few dozen to fill it back up though now with a week long trip coming up I will most likely try to add some more to the boxes as insurance.
    Salt boxes are still well off though come Salmon season I will tie a few more of my favorites and to replace them as they are lost.
    All 5 trout boxes of mine and Amie's 2 were almost wiped out by the end of last season and this winter has been spent trying to fill them back up to get ready for spring.

7. Dean Edwards

Dean Edwards Fllyfishy

I've been cranking out the stones. Both nymphs and dries. I have a few dozen more to go, then on to the BWO's. I am running low on the emergers and cripples.

I am going to get me 13 yo daughter back in the front seat of my boat this spring. She love to float and fish, and who better to have up front that your kid. I am sure she will go through a few bugs, so I have been trying to get stocked up.

Spring hatches are just around the corner, bring them on. :)

8. nb_ken

nb_ken Member

Stocking up on the basics. BWOs, PMDs, Cahills, March Browns, EHCs. PTs, Copper Johns, Scuds, Caddis pupas. Dozen or so of each of each in 3 or 4 sizes. Been tying a little bit pretty much every night since before xmas.

I need to fish.

9. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Member

I have been tying dragon nymphs, damsel nymphs, calebaetis, san juan worms, polywings, midge adults & larva, etc. I need to fish so bad, grass trout this weekend on the front lawn looks good!!:beathead:

Dr Bob :beer1:

10. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Media:
    Home Page:
    Salter Surface Flies 1 New Fly Box full, Salter Invertebrates 1 New Fly Box Full, Salter Bait Fish (Refill ~30 flies), Salmon/ Steelhead Patterns (Box Refill ~15 flies), eggs for steelies, MOALS, steel Marabou patterns, some nymphs, dries, ect..... This has been over the last month or so....

11. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Member

Media:
    I am getting tired of tying, its been a long cold winter out here, and now more cold and snow is forecast. Oh well some more tying this weekend I guess.:beathead:

Here is another picture, maybe clearer, I tried the indoor lighting setting on the Canon digital, guess it helped a little ? :confused:

Well back to the vise, fellows

[​IMG]

12. GR8LAKES FLYER

GR8LAKES FLYER Member

Media:
    Hey Hal !!

It's been a long cold winter here , with no chance as of yet to get in any swingin' . Been sitting at the vise lately getting ready for that first chance as the ice leaves the rivers .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike