winthrop washington the big twin

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by slongranger, Apr 8, 2009.

1. slongranger New Member

long beach wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    hey has anyone fished the big twin resently?
  2. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +209 / 0
    Define "recently", it's been closed since October....

MB
  3. Trout Master Active Member

as recent as last mamorial day. Had a big winter kill last year and the air bubbler didnt help it. They planted a butt load of fish last april. did not fish it in the fall. Hope to catch it this fall, if it didnt winter kill again.
  4. slongranger New Member

long beach wa
    i ment like withing the past few years. i fished there about 8 years ago and cought some truly monster trout like 5+ pounds are they still that big? or has it gone down hill?
  5. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    I just bought some property on Big Twin. I fished it a couple times last May and did well, but all 14-15" fish. There was a winter kill winter before last, and according to one of my neighbors over there, he watched eagles and ospreys feasting on large trout who gathered around the bubbler-it could have been better if the entire lake was frozen over, but who knows. I'll be fishing it in May, and we will see how it goes!
  6. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +209 / 0
    Then, my answer would be yes. As discussed, fished well a couple of years ago with smaller fish this past spring.

If the fish carried over, I would expect them mto be decent this spring.

MB
  7. Trout Master Active Member

slongranger, you ask a ? you recieve an answer than ask again,WTF
  8. slongranger New Member

long beach wa
    sorry the first q? was to see if the fishing was still good the 2nd was to see if there still that big
  9. CLO Royal Wulff Pack

PT/EDMNDS/TWSP
    Ratings: +425 / 0
    Big twin might be frozen still? The lake is great fishing and should be good soon...
  10. gmole Member

mount vernon washington
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    we had 8 of us fly fishing on the opener and it was terrible. the fish ranged in the 10 to 12 inch range and i didnt see any other people with any bigger. went to davis and caught as many as you wanted but again they were all small. we fished it the last 5 years on the opener and it has steadily gone down hill
  11. fisheral87 Member

Everett, Washington
    I'm just going to echo these guys, steady down hill trend. You might look elsewhere. We got a dandy out of patterson last year though but they weren't very snappy over there either. :beathead:
  12. Trout Master Active Member

I cant agree with the steady down hill trend. The winter kill of 07/08 happens. But the fishing before that was great. I would call it a bump in the road .
  13. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    About 8 years ago, the level of Big Twin started dropping, for a number of reasons-they concrete lined the irrigation ditches, Mocassin started taking more irrigation water, more wells were drilled etc. The level has stabilized in the last couple years and the normal shore side vegetation is re-establishing. Along with this, the acquatic insects are coming back, and I expect the Big Twin will once again be a great fishery. I wouldn't be surprised if this year has some very nice carryovers taken. Rick
  14. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    One of my friends was at Big Twin for the opener last weekend and had great fishing. He said that for the first time in three years, the fish made it through the winter! Lots of
    17-19" footballs! I'm heading over there in two weeks!