Wolf Creek/Craig, Montana

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Randy Knapp, May 21, 2002.

1. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

Will be leaving next Wednesday for Montana for a week in this area fishing the MO and neighboring creeks. Any info on flies, camping areas, river and creek access points, an occasional world class cheeseburger and/or breakfast, etc? It will be my primary fishing buddy and me and we are not novices. We will be wading and not floating and a guide is out of financial possibility. This will be the best we can do with limited funds.
    Randy

2. bitchcreek

bitchcreek New Member

If you're not a novice you will have a great time.
    I'm from that area and use to use a fly called a Missouri River Special, basically a tent wing caddis. There is a stretch closer to Casecade with some good rocks to fish around.

As far as other creeks and rivers, there is the Deerborn and Wolf Creek but I don't think they open until the first of June.

Have Fun and Please Catch & Release so I can go over and catch them too.

:THUMBSUP

3. Redbeard

Redbeard New Member

I used to live in the area also and fish that stretch quite a bit. If you can work out some way to float the river (it's not rough), you will enhance your chances a bunch. Check with the area flyshops for what's working. They are friendly folks and like to see everyone do well.

Have a great time and hope the weather cooperates!

4. superflie

superflie New Member

Definitely bring lightning bugs and small pheasant tail nymphs. Bring also caddis emergers and baetis emergers and dries. Big, nasty streamers will do the trick if stealthily cast from the bank. I floated the MO at Craig last year at this time and it was awesome. Pods of fish rising, indicators dunkin' and big fish smackin streamers. You could catch fish on all three. It's that time. It was a zoo, though. If you can, try getting to the dearborn river. It's a creek compared to the MO and is a decent wading river. If you stick to the MO, a boat would be the best, but I've had great days wading it. Any flyshops in the area will carry acceptable flies. Make sure you use the lightning bug as a dropper. :AA